Topic

UQ – full length or 2/3 ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping UQ – full length or 2/3 ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Thanks BPL for the Hammock Forum!

I am a fairly new to hammocks, just made a 1.1 single layer; 7/64 amsteel whoopies, poly tree straps, structural/ adjustable 7/64 ridgeline, removable bug net, 5×9 sil tarp, and 7/64 nacrabiners/softshackles.

I am now a hammock convert, beyond expectations for comfort.

On to my question; I am going to make an underquilt (summer time 40 deg+)

Do you use a 2/3 length or a full length underquilt?

I am 5-09 160lbs

I was thinking of making a 42×60 sewn-thru with about 5oz of down.

I tried the pad thing and I move around too much that it just kept bunching up. I think that with a 60" long underquilt I can avoid needing to use a pad under my feet. I use a small pillow so I was thinking the uq would cover from my shoulders to my feet.

Any thoughts, what works for you? I want to keep the weight down but still have good function.

Thanks.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Chris,

a sitpad placed under your feet will be best, but if you are the type to stay in exactly the same place/position all night you may not need one. The pad shouldn't bunch up or move much so you shouldn't have much hassle. My concern would becold spots on my shoulder or feet if I move around.

Your 60" length will be great! Congrats on the light setup!

Todd

Jarrod Handwerk

@pa_hiker

Locale: Orwigsburg PA

2/3 will do fine all year round with a pad under your feet..
    sewn through is ok…but to be honest i'v made a few UQ in my time and i say make one with baffles you won't be sorry
    and adding baffles is not hard at all…just alittle extra sewing …
    and well worth it in the long run..

if you have any questions or get stuck on any part PM me i'll try to help in any way i can

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Also one thing to consider on the length is that when gathered/cinched on the ends to close off any air channels the quilt will be slightly shorter than laid flat. I would also recommend trying a small pad for your feet if you don't go full length. A few weeks back at camp my pad was not under my heels and I knew it within a couple moments of climbing in the hammock, my heels were cold right away until I adjusted the pad. It was in the upper 60's at that point of the night.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I will probably try my MLD 2Thirds quilt as an uq if I can work out a way to attach it. In my backyard, I tried the JRB No Sniveller as an under. It fits perfectly but I was having trouble getting into the hammock without pushing the uq off to one side completely. I know, practice, practice. But it sounds easy until you try it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools