Topic

Sealing a Tyvek Suit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sealing a Tyvek Suit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Towne
    BPL Member

@gordontowne

Locale: New England

I am interested in using a full vapor barrier suit for winter camping. I was considering making my own vapor barrier suit out of silnylon, but then read that Andrew Skurka is using lightweight breathable fabrics coated in seam sealant as a vapor barrier for his Alaska trek. That got me to thinking: could you do the same thing with a full length, hooded tyvek suit like the one seen here:

Tyvek suit

Starting with a pre-made suit weighing in at under 6 oz is an appealing prospect. In theory I think it should work, but I have heard different things about getting silicone seam sealants to adhere to tyvec. Is there a particular sealant that would be good for this purpose? Would the standard silicone seam sealant diluted with mineral spirits method work?

Edit: fixed link

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools