Topic

Baffle height for UQ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Baffle height for UQ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I am trying to figure what height baffles I should use to make a down underquilt in the 35-40 deg range. I plan on overstuffing to prevent voids in the down.

What do you think the overall loft should be for a UQ at this temp?

What would be a good baffle height, or at this temp range do you think I could get away with a sewn-thru?

My head hurts from looking at the specs on underquilts, quilts, and sleeping bags. Nothing seems very consistent.

You folks have always provided me with great advice.

I am going to get my down from Hammockgear.com, it is 800+ fill.

Thanks

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

My take is that you're right at the edge of where down makes sense. The difficulty of getting a small amount of down well spread-out without dead spots either results in over-stuffing or very complex baffling, both of which add weight and cancel the inherent efficiency of down.

I've run the numbers for a few different quilt designs, and have found very minimal weight savings for a down quilt until you get to the 20's, which is generally agreed to be about 2" of down or 5oz of Climashield XP.

You would be looking at 1.5" of down or 3.7oz Climashield Combat, where you'll be lucky to save 1oz and avoid dead spots.

Sewn-through is probably lighter than baffles for something of that rating. It's certainly easier, and you can just over-stuff instead of spending weight on baffles.

So – sew-through and over-fill, or go synthetic. But run the numbers first to make sure the down will save you weight before you spend the time and money on it.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Thanks Philip,
    That makes sense, I think I am leaning towards a sewn-thru. The reasons I like down are it's compressibility, long life, and it just feels good. And I want some practice working with down before I make a down quilt. I will have to do the math and figure how much down I will need for a 1 1/2" loft, easy enough.

I guess the reality is the UQ only needs to be good to about 40 deg and warmer. I am a very warm sleeper.

Thanks again.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If you're gonna do a sewn through, do you want to take a look at my JRB Stealth? I could drop it off Tues. I have used it as a UQ down to freezing and have been comfortable.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Ken,
    Thanks, that would be great, I would love to see your quilt. Give me a call.
    I appreciate it.

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

If you're looking for a practice project then I would use the same construction you'll use on the quilt you're planning. If that will be a warm quilt requiring baffling, then baffle this one to get it figured out. If you're like me the second go-round will be much prettier.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools