Topic

Canyoning 4 beginners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Hi. In 1996 I bought the book by Michael R. Kelsey called ‘Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau’. I was lucky to have a tiny taste of canyoning in America and grabbed the book with the hope of doing more in the future. (I’m Australian).
    I would like to do some research but find the book difficult to understand and don’t know where to start. The book has too much info and my brain spins trying to work it out !
    If you could recommend any canyon hikes that I should research I would be very thankful. Please don’t waste your time with too much info as I will be able to find info in the book or on the internet, just recommending particular hikes will give me a starting point.
    Below I have listed some ‘restrictions’ that may limit your choices, as much as I would love to do it all, I want to be realistic about my abilities etc. For me, just getting into any canyon will be spectacular.
    I have had a few days in the Grand Canyon so help with all the smaller ones please !

1. Hikes of a day or up to a few days.
    2. Nothing technical but I would expect to get wet at times.
    3. I’m 49 years old but fit and capable.
    4. Can read a map and use a compass and GPS.
    5. Can do hikes mid-week to avoid crowds on popular hikes.
    6. Would prefer to avoid having to book well in advance.
    7. Would be solo.
    8. Love cactus !

Please note that very easy hikes in popular locations are fine by me but also love to get off the beaten track as well.

There are a thousand other things I need to look into I know, but with your help I can start looking in the right places/canyons without having to guess too much.

Many thanks, IAN

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Ian-

Be sure to check out:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com

…and any book by Steve Allen. Canyoneering 1,2, and 3.

IMO, it is the premier online resource for canyoneering in the USA. Gear, links, maps, technical advice, etc — and MUCH MUCH easier to sort through than Kelsey. He does have a new book out as well that is better, but still not as clear and concise as the above references.

Have fun in the canyons!

Brian

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Thanks Brian, will go there next. Should be fun to do some research and dreaming !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools