Topic

MYOG hammock tarp and bug net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG hammock tarp and bug net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

This myog bug is dangerous. I made a gathered end hammock with whoopie slings/ tree straps, a removable bug net and a 5×9 tarp. I loaded it all up and got out for two days. Finally got a chance to test my myog pack also.
    weights:
    181g – tarp, 1.1 sil-nylon 5×9
    25g – tarp guylines, 1.75mm zing-it
    88g – bugnet – .9oz/yd no-see-um (2 yards of mesh with a channel sewn on the short end, then gathered. The gathered end I just tie at the head of the hammock, then a tie-up keeps it off my face, the rest just drapes. Worked great, and removable.

209g – hammock, 1.1oz nylon 68" wide, uncoated
    42g – pair of whoopie slings, 7/64 amsteel
    20g – adjustable ridgeline , 7/64 amsteel
    68g – pair of tree straps, 1" polyester webbing
    50g – carabiners/ small full strength climbing

total – 683g / 24.09oz

I will probably make some soft shackles to save the weight of the carabiners.
    The tarp is the minimum size I would want to use, I will probably make a bigger one, but that was what I had for sil-nylon.

Hammocks are awesome! I will be hard pressed to go to the ground from here on out.

I am also very pleased with the comfort of my pack.Here is the whole set-upvery simple, removable bug netting

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Great job there Chris. When we heading out? Just ordered some Amsteel today. Was wondering why I hadn't heard from you. I guess Mom won't be getting her sewing machine back anytime soon. I got a spare Kenmore if she presses you! One word-nacrabiner.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Ken,
    I don't think I can get a sat/sun off till september. I wanted to thank you for the extra motivation, you have made some great gear. You really got me thinking about a hammock, and man do I love it.
    Just made some nacrabiners/ softshackles tonight. Wow, 4g each. Sweet.
    Amsteel is awesome stuff.
    Oh, and I also got a steripen, the advernture opti. Super easy, fast, no wait, and I can carry way less water. Definately the way to go.

I shortened the hammock length, from the whipping to the whipping (where I attach the whoopie slings) it is now 108" / 9'. I will have to weigh it again, as well as update the weights using the nacrabiners/ softshackles instead of the carabiners.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools