Topic

Remote Tehipite Valley

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Any friends been to Tehipite Valley this season starting from the Rancheria TH? I am concerned about the 1 million switch backs down to the valley..Its a unmaintained trail about 12 miles from the TH.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Need a trip report: BUMP

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

There are some folks on highsierratopix.com who are pretty knowledgeable about the area. I posted there myself, asking for info about it, and got some good responses in this thread: http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5324

If you go there and get an answer to your question, it would be great if you could give us a summary here. I don't check highsierratopix very often, and I'd like to know the answer to your question.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Ben for the link…I went through a lot of threads but found no info on the 3,000 ft descent to the valley. I was there in 2002–That area is spectacular just like Yosemite Valley but REMOTE—-no roads uproach it. I am heading out there on 8/27 going to the JMT coming out at VVR 9/5–6 Days–90 miles…Because it is so remote not that many people are aware of Tehipite–That's a good thing!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

its on my snowshoe list. Give us a full report!

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

Jay, I was suggesting that you post there and ask the question. I went ahead and quoted your question to them: http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5324&p=33352&hilit=tehipite#p33352

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

My bad Ben-Thanks for asking the question..I will check out any replies….

Elleyne Beals
    BPL Member

@tahomus

Locale: Not usually at home.

I did it last year. The trail is in good shape; a side-effect from the fire crews on the trail?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

That's good to know Elleyne- I am heading out there this coming week..My main concern was the 3,500 ft descent to Tehipite valley from the rim near Gnat Valley. What a view!!!!!!!

Thanks–Jay

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Please report back to us after your trip, Jay.

I'd be curious if this is a good late-season trip, if the waterfalls are still flowing well, etc.

– Elizabeth

T Schaefer

@shamrockshake

This is my first post in this forum :)

I did the trip to Tehipite Valley a few years ago. The switchbacks are exhausting for sure. Also, we encountered 2 rattlesnakes on the way down and then the last third of the trail was covered in leaves and some gravel which also made it slippery. The trip back up the switchbacks was actually a lot easier.

There's a book, a true story, that centers on what happens down the switchbacks to Tehipite Valley. It's called "Angels in the Wilderness". I haven't read it but saw it at REI. Anyway, I'm sure your trip will be incident-free, unlike that of the author :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools