Topic

Shining Rock Wilderness 8/10-8/11

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Shining Rock Wilderness 8/10-8/11

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

I headed out for a quick overnight that didn't turn out exactly how I planned.

Full report and pictures here: http://patrickofeasttn.blogspot.com/

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

Thanks for sharing this.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Looks like an awfully nice hike to me. A clear night on top of a NC bald is more than many people experience.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Thanks for the report, Patrick. This is one of my favorite areas in the SE.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Thanks for the comments, guys.

@Tom
    : I know what you're saying. A majority of my local hikes involve NC/TN balds and clear nights up there are few and far between for sure. But it sure is great when you catch one of those nights. I was hoping to catch some of the Persied meteor shower, but I was a night early.

@Chris
    : I've been wanting to go back since I got home. Its only an hour and half drive which beats the 2-3 hours it takes to get to the eastern half of GSMNP for me. And I'd rather drive through the Blue Ridge Parkway than Gatlinburg anytime.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I really got a kick out of your story and had to laugh because I had the exact same thing happen. The trail just disappeared and I couldn't find the right way despite knowing exactly where I was. A lot of bloody bushwhacking ensued. And that was months ago–I'm sure it's even more grown up this time of year. Beautiful area–there are tons of nice hikes around there. If you find out if/when trail maintenance is done, let me know so I can go up there before it grows back!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Take a map and compass and enjoy one of the only places around you can do some off-trail travel. :-)

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Sounds like it turned out great in the end even if it was a bit different than you planned. Great pictures and report. Thanks!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Nice shots! You certainly had better weather than when I went through there!

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

@Brian: you're not the first one to tell me they got confused there. It seems to be a real tricky spot for most everyone. Which makes me feel better.

@Chris
    : A majority of my hiking history is the AT so my map and compass skills are pretty untested. I had them both and they definitely helped out me in quite a few spots. I just wasn't comfortable to go off trail in an overgrown area in the trees where I couldn't really read the terrain that well.

@Bradford: If you ever organize a trip there I'll try my best to tag along.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Its a great spot and I'll be back for sure.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools