Topic

Hammocks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Hammocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I have two hammocks:

Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker A-SYM
    Hennessy Scout

Played around with the A-SYM in my backyard, but will try it on a backpacking trip before the end of summer.

IMO, hammocks are light and very comfortable. Easy to use.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I have a Hennessy hammock too, but I don't know what model it is since it's several years old and the screen printing on the stuff sack is falling off.

I like it too, but there are not enough trees around here to make it worth packing for local trips.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I wish I had a hammock

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I wish I had a hammock"

If I had a hammoooooock,
    I'd hammock in the morning….
    I'd hammock in the evening….
    All over this laaaaaaand.

I'd hammock out skeeters,
    I'd hammock out spiders,
    I'd hammock with all, my BPL brothers and sisters
    Aaaaaallllll, over this land…..

Sorry Peter. 'Scuse me Paul. Apologies Mary.

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Hmmm, how many hammocks you say?

My latest total is:

1 Hennessy Hyperlite
    1 Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1
    1 Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    1 Warbonnet Traveler SL 1.7 (my go-to for 90% of the time)
    1 Warbonnet Traveler DL 1.1
    1 Grand Trunk UL
    2 Grand Trunk Nano 7
    1 JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock
    1 ENO DoubleNest

It's a sickness I know I need help. Shall we talk about tarps, accessories, top quilts and underquilts next?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I was glad to see posts here so soon. I am on my second HH in ten years of hammocking. I also have two DIY rigs as well. Katherina I'll send you a hammock with the pack. Then you can hang with Josh and I.

OK people, what suspension are you using?
    Underquilt or pad?
    Big or small tarp?
    And since it's BPL how much does it all weigh?

Carry on.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

My daughter has apparently caught a curious bug (not from me) and has entered the realm of both hammockery and MYOG recently:

myog hammock cotton

It amazed me that her overhand knots held. She has actually slept in it a number of nights already. It hangs directly over her bed and she has her sleeping bag inside of it. In case it is unclear, she has adapted a cotton afghan to this new purpose.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wow Aaron that's a lot of sag in her setup! Cool!

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Cool! Do you live in a yurt?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

@Ken – she is kneeling in it there and can even stand in it and jump somehow without it breaking (I guess weighing 45 lbs. is a perk for hammock acrobatics).

@Casey
    – we were then and are now, and have on and off for a number of years. We have pretty well out grown the yurt now, though, so you may just see it up on the Gear Swap before the year is out.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Doug Linker

@linker

Locale: Southern Ontario

well i love the hammocks and am an active member over at hammockforums (Supertramp)-i have had 3 Hennessy's (Exp/Expl/Scout) 2 ENO's (double/single)and just picked up a trio of Grand Trunk Travel hammocks for 3 of my younger kids-hard to beat the comfort in a hammock but also hard to go ultralight in cold weather (i know it can be done with $$$$$$)new hammocks for the goobers

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Andrew, you're not kidding. You should see about attending HA meetings. Hammocks Anonymous.

Aaron, you're hitting the limiter on the cuteness meter. It looks like you're doing a splendid job of raising her.

Now I need some trees and it doesn't help that people around here keep burning them down.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I just started using a hammock this year and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. The low-impact and camp-anywhere part is great, but c'mon who am I kidding–it's just comfortable!

I have a WB BB dbl 1.1 and a Traveler dbl 1.1. The Traveler is my go to unless the bugs are just terrible.

I just got hooked up with some Dutch Biners. When it comes to UL suspension–the combo of whoopie slings, Dutch biners, short straps, and Dutch clips is pretty hard to beat for a light and easy-to-set-up system. I highly recommend them. Dutch is one smart feller.

Jason Knecht

@distortedaxis

Locale: Earth

I just recently purchased my first hammock (well two actually).

I have;
    – Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1
    – Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7

So far I have only slept in the 1.7 for one night and man, was that a good nights sleep. If I can manage to get these to weigh in around the same as my shelter options, then I think a hammock will be my go-to item of choice for trips where hammocks will work.

So for now I'm "hanging" in there…

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Have owned, in succession, an ENO DN, Clark NA, Hennessy UL Explorer (bottom entry), Warbonnet BB 1.7 DL, TTTM King. Currently still own a DIY GE made of spear 1.9 ripstock (WB traveller design) and a modded Eureka Chrysalis. My favorite, comfort-wise is the Chrysalis (minus the silly tent top), but it is crazy heavy even with suspension and spreader bar modification.

Next up, a DIY bridge based on the chrysalis dimensions with lighter material. But I will still go to ground when with my wife. :)

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Very cool to see this section :)

I have a hand full of hammocks, main camping one though is the Warbonnet Black Bird 1.1 dbl, recently changed it out to dynaglide whoopie slings and plan to make up a fixed ridgeline from dynaglide for it as well. I also have a few grand trunks kicking around a we have made a few gathered end hammocks up to test some design ideas.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Okay, I'll bite. Is there anyone out there on the tall side using a hammock? If so, which one and how do you mitigate the backwards leg bending issue which is something I've experienced in nearly every hammock I've tried no matter how "lay flat"…

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

I am 6'4" and own a Hennessey. Mitigation is a good choice of word, as I have never been truly able to lie flat, or more than flat, on an outing.

Our height certainly plays a factor, so getting a hammock cut a foot larger would go well for us. I know you (JGGiant) have tried the Warbonnet, and perhaps others, so you needn't the description on what the market has available. I would say that the suspension of your hammock is a vital, and for me, not too easy to explain aspect of how to lay flat. If it is too taut, or too loose, you will be less comfortable. You must find the "Goldilocks Effect" and suspend your cot juuuuussstt riiight.

Additionally, it could be the material of the hammock that throws you off. For example, sleeping on my floor, even when cushioned, does not feel as comfy to me as my bed. When I lay flat in my hammock, it could be that even though I am set up nicely parallel to flat ground, and my suspension is equally placed, my body still smarts from lying on something uncommon and I feel like I am not flat.

Perhaps a hammock with a stretchier material placed strategically at hips, shoulders and heals would be more comfortable? Alas, this is for the MYOG field, a club I do not subscribe to. :)

Good luck!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jolly Green,

A Bridge hammock (ie: from JRB) is the only "lay flat" hammock I've found. I'm over 6'1" and wouldn't want to be much taller in it, though. they may/may not make one custom for you – great folks!

You might contact Grizz at hammockforums.net to see if he can make a longer version if JRB doesn't. He is a genius. I don't know if he will do this, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. He modified my JRB Bridge to slash the weight.

Todd

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

The Hennessy Scout recommended size is for 5'8" 150 lb.

I got it for free when I bought my ASYM last Winter. Has not been taken out of the bag.

I'm thinking about doing a raffle for it. I will donate all the proceeds to BSA or similar organization.

What do you think?

shawn weld

@spoon

Locale: NorthEast

I love my Warbonnet Blackbird and OES SpinnUL tarp and I don't plan on ever returning to the ground. I can now hike late into the evening on a steep, rocky mountain and not worry about finding flat ground for my tarp. While I'm hooked on the comfort and convienence, my system is lighter than it was when I was on the ground because I no longer need to carry my Big Agnes to get a decent night of sleep. What do you guys do with your packs? Do you put them right on the ground underneath you? There were quite a few critters where I camped last weekend. I considered bringing the pack inside the hammock with me or hanging it like a bear bag.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Last time on the ground was in may 2003… HHBUL, HHELR, Claytor moskito, Byer Misquito, M1965 jungle hammock, ENO,s and currently JRB BMBH… Have used them all…They are all great…. In Fact, anything off the ground is great!

Pan

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Normally I just put my pack underneath me where I can easily reach in and grab things from my hammock. On occasion I will hang my pack from the suspension on one side of the hammock as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools