Topic

Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF Sleeping Bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF Sleeping Bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jesper Ahrentz

@ahrentz

Hello Everybody

This is my first time on this forum but I was thinking of getting a WM Kodiak MF sleeping bag.
    Does anyone have any experiences with this bag?
    Good or bad?
    I'm about 5 foot 9 and build slim but since I need it primarily for high altitude mountaineering, and would be sleeping inside it wearing my down suit often, I thought it would be useful to get this bigger fitting bag?
    As I'm from a country that doesn't sell this bag I would have to buy it online without being able to try it on first…
    Or would a different bag be better?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you very much!!!

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

That will be way too much bag for you. I have a Lynx (long), which is very spacious for me (6' 160lb) and allows me to wear a down jacket inside without killing the bag's loft.

Assuming you weigh 140lb or so, I suggest the Antelope or Lynx in a 6' bag for you. That will be quite roomy and warm, with space for clothes inside. I am toasty in my Lynx at 0F with just a base layer, and have no qualms about taking it to Alaksa.

Charlie Schaezlein

@cschaez

Locale: Orange County

I'm gonna have to agree with Philip on this. The Kodiak is a great bag, but if you're slim, i think you'll be fin with an antelope or lynx's cut (Kodiak has a 67" shoulder girth, vs 62" for Antelope and Lynx). I'm 5'11", 230+ and have an old 6' Apache. I've never had real trouble with the girth, and that only has a 59" shoulder. That in mind, I'd probably push you into the Antelope or Lynx. I'm more Antelope minded though, since the antelope is rated to +5F, but weighs a full 8 oz less than the Kodiak. You get that extra efficiency with the Lynx too, but then you're adding another 3 oz over the Kodiak that you probably don't need if you were looking for a 0 degree bag in the first place. On the other hand, it all depends on what temps you're actually going down to.

Jesper Ahrentz

@ahrentz

Thank you for your help guys!!!
    Really appriciate it!!!
    I would need a 0 degree bag, at the least, so I guess the Lynx would be the best option!!

Or any other suggestions for 0 or -5 degree bags?
    How would maybe MH Phantom 0 compare?
    Is the Lynx worth the extra money and weight?
    Thank you again!!!

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

The Antelope is warmer than the MH Phantom. Those bags are famously optimistic in thier temp ratings.

I think you'll find the Lynx money well spent. The warmth is incredible for only 3lb.

Jesper Ahrentz

@ahrentz

Lynx it is then!!!I think I'll be really happy and warm in it!!!
    Any last advice on perhaps getting the GWS instead of the MF??
    Thank you again!!!

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I have an Antelope. I'm 6-2 and weigh 210 pounds, and have plenty of room inside the bag to drape my down jacket over my torso.

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

Their MF is very weather resistant as well as breathable. I would only consider the GWS of you're going to use this bag with a tarp where you need extra weather protection. In a tent the GWS can actually keep you wet by trapping body moisture.

K. S.

@bwalt822

Jesper,

When you say you will be sleeping in a down suit are you talking about one of these?

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Marmot-Men-s-8000M-Suit_10043823____?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GoogleBase-_-na-_-Marmot-Men-s-8000M-Suit&ad_id=GoogleBase

If so, everyone above me may not have taken that into account when recommending a size.

You should be able to determine the loft of the down suit and then factor that into your body dimensions, then look at bag dimensions and size accordingly. Or you should ask the group you are going with what they recommend for sleeping bags over down suits.

Jesper Ahrentz

@ahrentz

Thanks again for your help and time guys!!!

Bill,
    That would actually be the case!! That's why I initially thought the Kodiak might be a good choice.
    I did speak with the group I'm going with but all they recommended was getting a 0 degree bag, WM or MH, and then sleep wearing our down clothing inside it to save on weight.
    I will check back with them!!! Thank you!!!

Anyone have any experience with sleeping in these types of suits inside bags??

Thank you again!!! You guys are all very helpful!!!

Charles Vandenbelt

@chuckwagon

Locale: Nashville

Hey guys – very glad I stumbled across this thread ! I've just made a hefty deposit on a WM Antelope bag. I'm 5'8 – 5'9 so I opted for the shorty version. Have I bought too little a bag ? Should I see if I can swap for a longer (reg size) bag ? BTW – I'm not looking at wearing my down jacket. I'm 200 lbs + (yes, I'm a chubby)and I sleep warm. I'll also be using a silk liner – more for keeping the bag cleaner. Please help. Regards, Charlie.

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

Get the regular length. The short WM bags say 5' 6" and they mean it.

Girth wise you might be OK – it's not a very slim bag like an Apache or Ultralite. It depends how much room you like.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Yes, I would think it's too short. My wife is 5-4 and found the Regular length Ultralight bag to be just right. Besides, with a winter bag I like to have extra length to stuff things in the bottom so they don't freeze.

Charles Vandenbelt

@chuckwagon

Locale: Nashville

Thanks guys ! I did get the regular – they had one in stock ! Which is great for me – the supplier neglected to inform me the bag I had paid a deposit on WASN'T EVEN IN THE COUNTRY !!!!(I live in Melbourne, Australia). Man, was I steamed when I found that out. The supplier said on Monday that they were shipping it today. Thursday came ; no bag. Very sorry – we're shipping it today …. Spoke to the guy at the gear store – after I had swapped ; he informed me of the earlier bag's situ. Sorry if I've hijacked the thread – it just came out…. Will be giving the bag a test on an overnight this weekend ! Regards, Charlie.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools