Topic

Ideal Solo Tarp Size?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Ideal Solo Tarp Size?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

What is your idea the ideal size of a solo catenary cut ridgeline tarp (non poncho) in 1.35 Silnylon and or a Spinnaker/Cuben?

Front Width X Rear Width X Ridgeline Length, ex. 7′ X 5.5′ X 9.5′ (We are assuming no radically pointed ends that would make the ridgeline a lot longer than the baseline.)

Any differences if the material is lighter?

How about number of tieouts or other features?

More of a real world preference (what you would buy) survey instead of a theoretical how light can it get survey…

Assumptions: Possibly using a bivy if needed, med range of weather conditions, not raining all the time and not to cold or snowing much, experienced tarp camper, 1-7 days trips, mostly on trails.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Describe your sleeping system to be used in conjunction with this tarp. Are you using a bivy, ground cloth, or what? What sort of weather conditions are you trying to accomodate?

Weather protection is the goal so how big relates significantly to what you have or will use in conjunction with the tarp.

Andrew Hedges

@alhedges

It also depends on your size; if you are 6’4, you will want a different size than if you are 5’3.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I’m about 6′, and I think a 9′ ridge is a nice starting point for bivy-less tarping. The 8′ tarps just aren’t quite enough for me after I add a few inches of sleeping bag loft to each end of my body, and an suitably long groundsheet underneath. Of course, a bivy would address those issues nicely. Width doesn’t matter as much, but I think about 4′ is as narrow as I would tolerate without undue effort.
    -Mark

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Ron, just got the 4’4″ X 9’6″ spin tarp (rectangular, no seams) from you, very nice thanks! Your craftsmanship is superb, I am very impressed.

I’m glad you posted this because I was thinking of cutting it in half for a 4’4″ X 4’8″ tarp for use in conjunction with a waterproof bivy.

I use a bivy but also like the extra headroom/protection a tarp gives so I am not trapped in the bivy during rain or melting in hot sun when hanging out at camp.

So really (with a waterproof bivy), I just need upper torso coverage (some for my dog to sneak under too). At 4’8″ long I could get about 1’5″ past my head for vestibule and the rest over my torso, with the usual spin width at the sides.

Obviously, without a waterproof bivy this concept won’t work too good in rain, but those are getting lighter with eVent. Maybe even just the lower half waterproof even.

Yes, one could use a hooped bivy with a mini dome, but the tarp option gives more versatility IMHO.

What do you think of this idea?

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

I don’t think fabric weight makes a whole lot of difference in ideal tarp size. Well, maybe a lighter tarp ought to be pitched lower and wider for wind resistance (which would argue a lighter-weight tarp could be smaller for comparable area coverage).

At least two extra tie-outs on the long sides make sense, and loops on the underside for clipping bug netting or hanging a clothesline make sense. One pet peeve is having a clothesline on the centerline in a small solo shelter means that dirty socks and the like are dripping directly upon yourself.

Size? Well, under a tarp I like to go for about eighteen inches between me and the edges of the tarp. The foot of the tarp is usually pitched pretty low, about a foot high, in fact. The head of the tarp is typically pitched so I can just barely sit up and peel off a jacket. I’m biased towards wetter and windier weather than I think you are considering, though.

Right now I am pretty happy with my GG SpinnTwinn as a solo shelter. Not the optimum in lightness but massive coverage for foul weather, like the last week was for me…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools