Topic

Help with my torso clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help with my torso clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Neal

@michaelneal

I know the following combination is not the ideal for ultralight backpacking but I got them all at great sale prices. My question is: at what temperature do you think this system will keep the average person warm to?

Mid weight capilene shirt
    Marmot Driclime
    Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
    Marmot Precip

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Assuming reasonable protection for head and lower body… I would expect most people would be comfortable to sub-0F temps with all layers on.

I run warm. Provided I have had enough food to eat and am not exhausted, the Microsoft Puff Pullover + midweight base would keep me warm to ~15F sitting around…. and when active I was comfortable to -15F (that’s the coldest it’s gotten when I have used the Micro Puff.

The US Army insulation recommendations would suggest that the Micro Puff by itself (.7in of loft) would be comfortable for sleeping to 50F, awake and light activity down to around 40F, and if enaged in high energy activity to below -50F.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Those tops, matched with suitable bottoms, could easily see me into the teens Fahrenheit, just piddling around. If active, then probably much lower. Unfortunately, I can’t really tell you much more because it rarely gets that cold in Georgia :)
    -Mark

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

I use a similar setup for upper and lower layers:
    Patagonia midweight Capilene
    Patagonia Micro Puff Vest
    Marmot Precip for rain/wind protection
    Mountain Hardware windshirt
    combined with gloves and a balaclava I can handle about any weather I encounter..

Of course I mostly hike in Georgia and sometimes venture into North Carolina so I do not have to deal with extreme cold either.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools