Topic

Is the Jam going to work for me?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Is the Jam going to work for me?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Robert Burns

@ledcactusyahoo-com

Locale: Cascades / Olympics (WET)

Ive got a phantom 32 degree bag, a tarptent cloudburst w/o floor, a small nylon tarp for my sleeping arrangement, roughly 50 bars of various types, a jetboil, some freeze dried meals, water, and all of the other things that I should probably be adding to this list too, mostly small stuff. I am wondering if the golite jam is gonna work for me?

J R

@ravenul

Yes OR No.

You can probably cram most of that into a Jam, but just being able to cram stuff doesnt mean it will “work”.

What are you planning to do?

An overnight in the summer calls for different equipment than a week long trip in October and that week long trip calls for different equipment than a 3 month thru-hike of the PCT.

Robert Burns

@ledcactusyahoo-com

Im going to use it for the first trip @ 7 days towards the end of august. I live in Seattle, and its going to be somewhere around cascade national park area. It will also be used year round, but the longer/longest trips will definately be in the summertime. anything fall or winter will be less than 3 nights.

J R

@ravenul

Then it *SHOULD* be fine… all things being equal.

Hit your local REI and see how you like the fit.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I’d say that pack might NOT work for you for your 7 day trip unless you can get your gear volume down more than what you mention.

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

You might check out the Conduit by ULA. A little bigger than the Jam, about the same weight I think, and maybe a few extra features. I believe Golite is coming out with the Jam2 early next year with more padded shoulder straps and a few other changes.

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

A Jam2 you say??.. More padded shoulder straps??.. That is my only gripe about my current Jam. Perfect size, good fabric, crappy shoulder straps. Where did you hear this? Got a link?

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

A very nice lady at Golite told me this. There site said to call and ask them question, I did, and she told me about the Jam2 in early 2007. She told me it would have more padded shoulder straps, might be LESS expensive, and they were thinking about making it so you could hike in to a base camp, then cinch the pack up to make it smaller so it could function as a summit pack. I like to climb the 14ers in Colorado and this seems like a great idea to me. She was not sure what the weight of the pack would be though. Hopefully, it won’t be any heavieer though. Call Golite and see what they tell you then give me your take. I was a little preoccupied with my youngest son when I called and might have missed some good beta. Good luck

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

Although I’d echo previous comments about what “works” in any situation being subjective, I’ve carried my Jam with what believe should be that volume of gear without any trouble, although that was pushing the weight near the limit.

ymmv.

–afterthought–
    what pad are you using? my estimate for reaching that volume included using an older little thermarest, which takes up very little space. i don’t think you’d get as much success with, say, one of the thick gossamer gear pads.

Robert Burns

@ledcactusyahoo-com

Im using a therma rest ridgerest that is short.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools