Topic

hiking partner for long hike not too far away from Vancouver, BC, in about 2 weeks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips hiking partner for long hike not too far away from Vancouver, BC, in about 2 weeks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

Hi,

Unfortunately my hiking partner can not join me for a 8 day trip to Stein Valley in 12 days due to knee problems. As this park is grizzly habitat I do not want to go alone.

I have August 16th to 31st off and will do the North Coast Trail during that time.

But I want to see mountains, alpine lakes, ridgelines and all the good stuff you experience above the tree line as well.

I have sufficent skills and equipment. I have done alpine hikes before (have been to parts of Stein Valley last year..). I also got my own tent and stove if needed, furthermore I could also supply a MLD Supermid.

Let me know if you wouldn't mind another guy in your group if you are going somewhere not too far away from Vancouver.

It would be nice to find someone to go with as the current situation is screwing up my summer plans. :)

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

"As this park is grizzly habitat I do not want to go alone."
    That's awfully big-hearted of you, but feeding a griz two hairless primates instead of one just makes it twice as habituated to an unnatural diet.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

especially if one speaks german and the other one hungarian,
    but hey maybe they are too afraid of foreign accents.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Hmm…tough situation. Maybe just do the Stein solo (with bear spray)? I think it would be an awesome experience. You can get that much more in touch with nature when you're out there solo. I was in the Stein this spring with my wife and we saw a Griz. Scary but cool stuff…

I can't get 8 days off to do the full Stein traverse on this short notice (plus I'm already doing it with my wife right after Sept 1-9.) but I might be able to get a couple days off if you end up changing your plans and just want to do part of the trip….like lilleot lake up to the alpine and back for 2 nights or so…hard to say for sure though.

I've also got a adventurous idea about how to bag Castle Towers Mtn (one of the highest peaks in Garibaldi) in 2 days/1 night that I could use a partner for if you end up changing your plans. Day one involves 12km hiking, .5 km paddling in my raft and then about ~3000 ft scrambling. Day 2 is a ~2000 ft summit bid followed by the descent.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

I wrote you a pm Dan.

I won't do the Stein alone.

I will do the North Coast Trail, starting this Tuesday.

Anyways, check my mail and I am looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools