Topic

Thread – Nylon or Polyester?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Thread – Nylon or Polyester?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I’m going to be doing a rain slicker from some ripstop, and I’ll be doing a bivy maybe, and maybe a tent.

Does one type of thread work for all these? I’ve got some polyester upholstery thread, and some nylon clear. Which one should I go with?

Dwight

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Thru-hiker.com has this poly in 40 tex (weight)

enough to last a diy’er a long long time

Suffice to say, thread is as complicated and anything else if examined closely.

There are many many types,weaves, twists, coatings, etc. in manufacturering thread.

The one at thru-hiker is a multi filament, poly wrapped poly, decot tex 40 with a coating (you can’t see or feel it) that improves strength and makes it anti wicking and hydrophobic. Compared to a sewing store Gutterman med weight (40) poly it is about +%30 stronger. It also very rarely breaks in the machine as it is high quality. It will feed through needles as small as 65/70 OK.

Not much reason to use anything else on fabrics lighter than about 2-2.5 oz sq/yd. or most all UL and SUL fabrics.

my 2 cents,

ron

“Hydrophobe 100% Polyester Thread
    Description: You’ll find that our Hydrophobe100% polyester thread is perfect for the vast majority of your gear projects. And as a Thru-Hiker exclusive, its durable Hydrophobe anti-wicking finish keeps water out of your seams better than any thread on the market.
    more details

Price: $12.95″

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools