Topic

Quinoa for Protein

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Quinoa for Protein

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

Mother's milk is for babies, cow's milk is for baby cows, soybeans are for grazing animals with four stomachs…

I recommend brazil nuts and fruit because the combination of these contain favorable amounts of methionine and cystine, amino acids which are deficient and therefore limiting in most other foods. They are also easily packable, vegan, calorie-dense, and contain micronutrients. And it's silly to talk about eating "only almonds/oats/quinoa/etc all day" because you aren't doing that, and protein in even small quantities like fruit and nuts is not negligible, especially if it's of high quality. If you're interested, the Free Acne Book(ignoring the name) contains a detailed study of amino acids. The surrounding "Wai" sites also have lots of (referenced) info about diet and protein.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The issue with whatever diets that get tossed out though is sustainability – and by that…can a person eat that way for a month, a year, 20 years, etc. Some people can do it – but for most it isn't realistic. But as well….we rope ourselves into treating food as an enemy – not something to be celebrated, enjoyed.
    Trying new foods is a wonderful thing – not in excess but just that – trying. Anytime we deny ourselves we should ask why are we denying?
    Modern diets might not always be great….we have too much processed food for example but you can bet that our ancestors would have loved the chance to try the foods we have these days.
    Food isn't the enemy.

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

AND . . .
    oI am one of the Sarah meal suggestion followers. The joy mixing spices, etc. to develop that "unique" meal is fun.

Many a time I ended up eating at home one of her "fixings" because I could not wait for the nights' camp to try it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Maybe I don't fit in here.

To me, food is simply fuel for my body.

Just like for an auto engine, I want to use fuel that is appropriate and the engine will run smoothly. I don't want fuel that will cause the engine to seize up.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Bob…I can only bet I'd drive you crazy :-D

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sarah :
    "But as well….we rope ourselves into treating food as an enemy – not something to be celebrated, enjoyed.
    Trying new foods is a wonderful thing – not in excess but just that – trying. Anytime we deny ourselves we should ask why are we denying?"

I am with you there…
    In fact I am always very suspicious of and rarely get on with people that do not enjoy eating.
    And that , to me , is the "key" :enjoy.
    Have a look at the French diet. Butter, sauces, cheese … yet till McDonald arrived there , very few obese people.
    Where I grew up (on the Italian/Swiss border) we have a similar "diet".
    At 5'7" 150 lbs I am the fat one in my family….(mind you, in the village you either walk up or down, so exercise is not an option)
    The reason is not what you eat but how…
    Take your time eating, enjoy your food, eat well but smaller portions. You will lose weight..
    Here is a "personal" (not mine) non scientific (!) account :
    http://gofrance.about.com/od/issuesnewshottopics/a/diet.htm
    BTW, anedoctally , a good coversation during meals (TV is not a conversation) helps…
    Franco

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Franco said: "The reason is not what you eat but how…
    Take your time eating, enjoy your food, eat well but smaller portions. You will lose weight..
    Here is a "personal" (not mine) non scientific (!) account :"

My own personal account is that that is VERY TRUE! I'm around 175 lb now. Amost seven years ago I was about 225 lb. I'm 5'11".

I changed my lifestyle to become very active. Backingpacking was my paradigm shifter. Especially the going lighter thought process. Food is no enemy. I enjoy food. Healthy food. Junk food is repulsive to me now.

Last month my wife and I backpacked about a week in CA. The weekend before and after we feasted in San Fran with my son and his girlfriend and some relatives. When I returned home, I found that I'd lost a few pounds.

It's ALL about burning more calories than you eat. This works much BETTER if what you eat is healthy because then you have the energy to be active.

We all have the power to actually rewire our brains by changing our lifestyle. We just have to really want to do it – not for anybody else – but for yourself.

On yeah, quinoa is good stuff but so is 70% chocolate : )

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

For me, it's not food that's the enemy. Weight loss is the enemy. On a long hike, my concern is that I'll deplete my fat reserves.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools