Topic

A short trip in the French Pyrenees

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports A short trip in the French Pyrenees

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I made my first trip in the French Pyrenees in early July.
    I started in the Vallee d'Ossau in the evening
    Vallee d'Ossau
    and hiked up Val d'Arrious
    Val d'Arrious 1652
    Looking back whence I had come, I had my first view of the Pic du Midi D'Ossau
    Pic du Midi d'Ossau 1653
    but an hour later, at the Col d'Arrious, a temperature inversion had developed
    Val d'Arrious 1656
    Above 2200m, the way ahead was still clear, this is the Passage d'Orteig
    Passage d'Orteig
    After crossing the Passage, I dropped down to camp next to the Refuge d'Arremoulit – not much grass to choose from!
    Refuge d'Arremoulit
    Sunrise next morning on Pic d'Arriel
    Pic d'Arriel
    After crossing the Col du Palas, this was the view south into Spain, the Picos del Infierno I think
    Picos del Infierno
    After finding the intended route obscured by deep snow, I turned around and crossed Passe de la Barane and then Port du Lavedan (2615m)
    Port du Lavedan
    and recrossing Col du Palas
    Col du Palas
    to return to the previous nights camp site. Next morning I retraced my steps down to Vallee d'Ossau and climbed the oposite side to the Pic du Midi d'Ossau
    Pic du Midi d'Ossau 1693
    I made a detour up Pic Peyreget and then dropped down to this idyllic camp spot beside Lac de Peyreget
    Lac de Peyreget
    and went for a swim.
    Lac de Peyreget camp
    The next morning was my last, and I passed this more typical French hiker – definitely not UL!
    French hiker

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Scott

Lovely! Memories.

>camp next to the Refuge d'Arremoulit – not much grass to choose from!
    You had more snow than we did! I think the area was completely clear of snow when we were there.
    I remember chatting with the Guardian at the Refuge – he had no customers as the weather was rather poor. Like, wet!

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools