Topic

Tilley airflow and scalp sunburn

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tilley airflow and scalp sunburn

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

I recently purchased a LTM6 and given the way it sits on my head I am worried about getting sun burned through the mesh crown. I am not bald (yet) but I have thin hair on the top of my head. Does any who is bald or has thinning hair have experience using a Tilley airflow hat?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I don't have hair on top and did burn through the mesh of an LTM3.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My kids say I have thin hair and I have never burned through the mesh!

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

You might want to try the Tilley LTM8. I have one and love it! It also has a mesh crown, but it is a much tighter mesh than the aiflow. This will protect you from the sun as well as keep no-seeums out. The mesh covers the entire sides of the crown for better ventilation.

Although the hat isn't water proof, I have found that no rain drops come inside through the mesh, even though the hat gets wet of course. This makes for a very comfortable, breathable hat in the rain.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hi Stuart I had my legs very sunburned on a float trip in june I did not have my head burnt and never have in the 3+ yrs I have on my LTM6 I have NO hair on top and very little on the sides I love my tillie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools