Topic

Stove? Or miniature high output jet engine?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Stove? Or miniature high output jet engine?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

Check this out:

YouTube video

Richard Seifert

@zmad2000

Thats just sick.

Now how to make an easy to assemble version that we could take on the trail and use.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Or miniature bomb. Looks pretty cool, and a faster alcohol stove would be a (generally) good thing, but is it safe? Is a pop can sufficient to stand up to the heat and pressure generated? Is it reliable?

Dunno that I'd jump in too fast although the cool factor is certainly high.

HJ

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

the popcan should be fine just like all the other "pepsi" stoves. The thing i like is the alcohol is preheated (and kept boiling) by the small wick stove, but i wonder if a primer pan and side jet would do the same thing allowing a smaller package and less fiddling. The small amount of jets keep the pressure high but the stand is an utter joke. That is an accident waiting to happen. The guy almost knocked it over in the video.

If the concept could be put to practice in a way where 1) the stand where sturdier and B) the pot wouldn't have to be 18" off the ground to be 1.5" above the flame then this idea would be cool to see in a practical setup like that. The bad thing is i'm not smart enough with stoves to do it myself.

Is there a reason the vaporized alcohol is being ignited so far away from the boiling alcohol? In most stoves the flame is right above the reservoir. Does this have to do with the *perceived* improvements in performance of this design?

-Tim

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Other comments on this thing can be found here

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Very clever. Just like the white gas stoves only white gas is pre-pressurized by air then super heated by the brass tube over the jet.

Would be interesting to see this design built a little more solid. Like a 1 part deal. The top part looked very wobbly on the stand. I wonder if a tea candle whould make a good bottom burner.

Note: I cannot fabricate anything unless it is to be made from Legos. Too bad they don't make titanium Legos.

I also enjoyed the fact that it was tested indoors on a wood table. (-1)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Some of the stoves in that series are a revival of the antique Handy Camper stove – but that one ran on white gas, not alcohol. Made a roar.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools