Topic

EOS Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) EOS Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert Paul

@dellrazor

Ryan-

Excellent scientifically credible and thorough review for the EOS headlamp. Headlamps as a marketplace category, is experiencing a revolution in technology that is hard to keep up with as a consumer. I appreciate your efforts and I look forward to similar reviews for the Black Diamond Zenix IQ and new Petzl offerings.

Thanks and Peace. dellrazor.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Thanks for your kind comments, dellrazor. The Eos was the perfect subject for an in-depth review because it does so many things well, at a very competitive price.

We’re testing the Zenix IQ at present, and there should be at least one Petzl review after that. The blizzard of new LED lights is challenging to keep up with!

–Rick
    Section editor
    Lighting and navigation systems

Jim Wood
    BPL Member

@jwood

My compliments. Your review of the EOS is well very done, and I must say that, having used the EOS extensively for the past couple of months, I agree with virtually all of your conclusions.

I would not, however, be quite inclined to give it a “5-star” rating as did Doug Pribis over at flashlightreviews.com.

The failure of PT to build-in some kind of lens diffusion mechanism is a non-trivial issue in my opinion, especially since we see
    how easily the problem could have been solved. I’m referring to the new Tikka XP which was unveiled recently at the Outdoor Retail Show that includes a very slick sliding diffusion lens. As a work-around, I’ve used 2 or 3 kinds of tape over the lens to make it more of a “camp worthy” flood light, but even fairly clear tape cuts light output noticeably. One poster on the candlepower forum (see link below) has, in fact, retrofitted his EOS with an add-on lens (the Surefire E-size Beamshaper) to help disperse the light for close-up use.

I’m sure PT recognizes the issue and I’d bet there’s a solution in the works. If they get this problem fixed, the EOS will, IMHO, deserve a 5-star rating as a do-it-all headlamp.

Jim Wood.

Candlepower forum link:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=716371&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools