Topic

“Fixing” a gummy Silnylon tent fly?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear “Fixing” a gummy Silnylon tent fly?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Blake Wills

@blakeinhou

Hello,
    I have a Lightweight North Face Vector 22 tent I inherited. The tent looks brand new, not a spec of dirt;however, the rain fly is tacky or gummy on the underneath side. I assume this is Silnylon or some sort of silicone treated material. My question is- Can-Should-How do I get rid of the tackiness? The tent bag made from the same material is somewhat the same way, I put a bit of baby powder inside the bag and that seemed to work, but I am a bit reluctant to do it to the rainfly.
    Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Had this happen with the original version of my HubbaHubba. You probably have a urethane coated fly – not silnylon.

MSR replaced the tent with the newer model (at no charge) due to the defect. It's worth a call to TNF. But to answer your question the waterproofing is breaking down and I doubt there's a long term fix that you'll find satisfactory. Powder might work – I dunno.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Silnylon never does that, but poorly-cured PU certainly does. It is NOT repairable.

Manufacturing defect – return.

Cheers

Blake Wills

@blakeinhou

Thanks to both for the reply. Will send it in.
    Thanks-Blake

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools