Topic

Esbit Stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Esbit Stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I just got back from a trip that was at around eight thousand feet in the Sierra's. I took three tabs of Esbit for three nights, just to be on the safe side. I was able to boil two full cups of river water three different nights on less than two tabs total – tossed the remaining bit in the fire. Basically, I was able to boil two cups with about a half a tab per boil. If you just want 180-190* water, it'd take even less Esbit. Very efficient and the smell isn't bad at all. Just make sure to double bag it before it goes in your pack or bear canister. I use the Keg-H with Gram Cracker. And I'm in the field at 4.97 ounces without fuel. And Esbit is .51 ounce per tab. Very nice simple solution.

Another said to try it in your back yard. Great suggestion for all your gear. Also, a mini bic would be good for lighting Esbit. Matches get blown out too easy. Esbit is not like Alcy, it takes a bit to get it going. Another great thing about it is it can't spill. -Talk to Rand at Trail Designs and he'll get you the skinny on what you need.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Not sure what the big deal is. I've been cooking almost exclusively with Esbit for 10 years, and most of those meals have been "real" meals (couscous/lentils, pasta, hot rice cereal, etc.) for two or even three people.

There are only two serious downsides: (1) For long trips, it can get expensive per tab. (2) You can't simmer an Esbit.

I use many of the tricks already mentioned here, including:
    1. A wide (not tall) pot.
    2. A really good, tight windscreen. (Varivent is the brand I have.)
    3. A square of aluminum foil underneath, to reflect heat and also to keep the ground from scorching
    4. Burn two tabs at once, if there is a large volume to boil.

That said, some day soon I'll buy a Ti Tri or a sidewinder stove in order to have the choice to use Esbit, wood or alcohol. I like the idea of using cheaper fuel; and of having flexibility, especially in plane travel situations.

– Elizabeth

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

> You can't simmer an Esbit.

Elizabeth/others:

So you know, I have a few Japanese customers of the Gram Cracker who like it because it CAN simmer enough to make rice. What they do is after they get the water boiling with alcohol, they put in an esbit tablet with the Gram Cracker ON TOP of the cube with a bit of the cube sticking out. This slows the burn down to a crawl and gets them the simmer time they are looking for.

Rand :-)

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools