Topic

Down mid layer for tall skinny guy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down mid layer for tall skinny guy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Can anyone recommend a down jacket/sweater that would fit a long slender body type better? The intended purpose is for idling around camp with temps of mid 30's – low 40's, with a light rain/wind shell over it.

edited: to add… I've read the great reviews that BPL put together but didn't gather too much info regarding the fits for a tall slender guy.

Thanks!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Will Rietveld seemed to like the fit of the Rab Microlight jacket and he is tall/thin.

Paul Burke

@elpeebee

Locale: Too far south of the Pyrenees

Maybe try Stoic down sweater from Backcountry? I don't have that piece, but every other Stoic item I've bought is super-long and very athletic-cut. Not UL but cheap and great return policy.
    http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Stoic-Luft-Down-Sweater-Mens/SIC0017M.html?CMP_SKU=SIC0017&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&mr:trackingCode=638E61DD-F061-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

First Ascent stuff should work well for you.

I am returning a First Ascent vest because it's too long and too tight in the chest. I'm short and thick through the chest and shoulders, though, and this thing seems custom-built for someone tall and thin. It does have some extra room through the belly, but not anything too excessive, and that just leaves room for drying gloves and stuff in the interior pockets. It's very well made and comfortable–I'm bummed it didn't fit. Temp-wise, I'd say a jacket version would be perfect mid 30s to low 40s with a shell. Plus they have a hooded version now.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Montbell down inner.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Rab Microlight sounded pretty decent from the review. The Stoic seems to have some mixed reviews at bc.com, especially regarding the sizing. I'll have to check it out further. The First Ascent stuff sounds interesting from the reviews, plus they have "tall" sizes, my impression of the jacket is that it's meant more as an outer layer. Anyone here actually have one? How puffy is it? The MB Inner Down was actually what I wanted but somewhere I read a comment about it being short on people with long torsos?

Colin Kelley

@ckelley

Locale: Santa Barbara

Montbell sizing is great for the tall/skinny of us.

I'm a little over 6'2", 180, 41" chest. The Montbell size Large is basically perfect for me. I bought one for a friend's son's graduation and he's skinnier than I am (and maybe 6') and a Large still fits him fine. You often see advice on Montbell sizing that you should "size up" in their down layers and I don't agree. If you're slim to medium their sizing is great.

I tried a Medium Tall First Ascent last month and it was actually too snug in the chest. I'd guess it was 38" or 39'? Arms and torso were plenty long. Oddly the arms were huge in width–enough room for a major body builder! Even if the chest had fit I probably would have sent it back anyway because of all that dead space in the arms.

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Locale: All Over California

+1 for the First Ascent. I'm tall and kind of average, but I have broad shoulders, so it was too tight for me in the chest as well. Otherwise it was a nice vest. I have a medium for sale if you're interested :-)

Edit – they're not terribly puffy. They have the room for the down to function properly, unlike a lot of "mainstream" products that you can get lost in. I wouldn't use them as an outer layer in wet weather because of the fragile shell and natural down, but under a WPB shell or windshirt, I would imagine you'd be quite toasty in any condition.

Paul Burke

@elpeebee

I tried the Down Inner. I'm 5'10, 165 lbs. 39-inch chest with a torso on the longer side for my height. I found the Down Inner parka a hair short, but the Alpine Down parka was good length-wise.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've got a medium MB down inner parka. I'm 5'11, 165lbs and I find the medium to be kinda short in the torso but good otherwise. A large would likely be long enough, but the medium is already plenty big in the torso so it kinda depends on how picky you are about fit.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Thanks again for the responses. I'm 6'3 160lbs, ~ 38" chest and pretty broad shoulders. The First Ascent tall medium sounds like it would be close to perfect for me. Lots of room in the arms might be a problem since I don't exactly have people lining up to see the gun show :)

I found a vendor not too far away that carries the First Ascent gear so I'm going to visit them later this month to see if I can check out the down jacket first hand, otherwise maybe the MB Down Inner will be worth a try…

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Paul, what size Down Inner did you have, and what size Alpine Down? Can the Apline Down work as a mid layer?… it looks puffy

Paul Burke

@elpeebee

I had Medium in both. And sorry – I mistyped. I meant the Alpine Light parka, not the Alpine Down. The Alpine light is puffier than the Down Inner, but still fits nicely under my shell. Like the previous poster, both fit decently around the torso (though I wouldn't mind if they were slightly more fitted), so I wouldn't go any bigger if you're 38" in the chest. But given that you're 6'3" I think that medium will probably leave you looking like Shania Twain at her peak (in terms of bare midriff, not other assets).

Surprised nobody's chimed in yet recommending a guy at a cottage industry shop who can tailor a bespoke down midlayer for you… ;)

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Jacob,

There are still Tall Mediums on the clearance section of the EB site at $89 with free shipping using coupon "newfall" Still a $3.00 "Handling Fee"

Might be worth picking one up at this price to try?

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

LOL… Paul I don't think that's going to work for me, but if I looked anything like Shania I would probably not leave the house much ;)

Thanks for the tip, Rod. I just found them. For $89 that's a tempting deal.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

On the 1st Ascent. With the clearance pricing and the tall/medium availability I figured I might as well give it a shot. We ordered one for the little woman too… they had petite sizes available for women at $69.

The free shipping code wouldn't work though, it seems like the clearance items may not qualify.

edit: thought I'd update for anyone who comes across this. The tall-medium was a great fit for me. I wish more clothes were available with this sizing. The petite-large was also good for my wife who is 5'-2 ~110.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools