Topic

Sierra Gear List – Under 10 lbs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Sierra Gear List – Under 10 lbs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Locale: All Over California

I just got under 10 pounds without even realizing it. Thanks, BPL!

I'm headed to Tamarack Lakes in the Rock Creek area (eastern sierras) for a 2 night trip solo- and may walk to the top of Mount Morgan if I can. From what I've read, I can expect days as high as 90s and lows in the 30s, mostly dry but definite possibility of a rain and/or thunderstorm. If anyone has experience around there, I'd love to hear. I will be there 24-25 August.

You can see the PDF version on my profile, or the gdoc here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiEMTy8PkrOHdDV5SzZ4TWhJdjNteDE5enlaR2lhNVE&authkey=CKvQhtEC&hl=en#gid=2

The only thing I wonder is if I really need the nanopuff. But then again, the next lightest thing I have is a 9 oz fleece vest, so it might make sense to just take it.

The tarp is a cheapie I'm tinkering with the setup of now. The poncho I'm using as a ground cloth is wide enough to fold up if I need some additional rain protection.

So, let me know what ya think!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Hey,

My advice:

Get rid of the bear spray. You don't need it. If you feel absolutely naked without it, a small can of "dog mace" should suffice against a black bear. But there aren't grizzlies in the Sierras and no one takes bear spray.

I think your shelter/sleep system is a little iffy. Add a bivy? or at least an emergency heat sheets bivy. If you are caught in a really bad storm with that set up, it will be a wet cold time you'll have.

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Yeah, the bear spray was leftover from the tetons trip. Nixed.

I hadn't seen HeatSheets before. For $5 and the same weight, it beats the hell out of the Space Blanket. I will look into that more.

Thanks!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

oh yah, the price is half the allure!

Just good insurance for short trips when you're pushing the limits with shelter.

Have fun!

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Nate, I like how you put that :-)

I just try to find ways to utilize things that I already have, and just as importantly, that are already out in the environment. 19 oz for shelter isn't bad spending $20 for a bivy and some new stakes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools