Topic

Bear Paw tents custom tipi

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear Paw tents custom tipi

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experiences with Bear Paw Tents. I ordered a custom pyramid shelter and John had it out to me within a week— all at about 30% less than the other UL companies I looked at. What?! Yeah! He was a pleasure to deal with and the shelter is well made.

Bear Paw Tents

That's the short version. Here's details, for anyone contemplating ordering something similar.

The tipi is 4.5 high, 9.5 long and 6 wide; that's 2' narrower and 8" longer than the Mountain Laurel Designs SpeedMid, which it closely resembles. There is no covered peak vent, and I didn't want one.

One panel was sewn into the seam with a little excess in the middle (think reverse catenary), making that edge less taut than the other three. Not perfect, maybe, but good enough for me. I assume if you were ordering one of Bear Paw's regular products everything would be dialed in.

The tipi came with a stuffsack with a bottle of silicone goop. You add your own paint thinner, shake it up, and paint it on. Much easier, faster and cheaper than SilNet. All tieouts were reinforced with silnylon patches, and the peak is reinforced with thicker nylon to hold a ski pole or stick. All your basic details.

I don't know how much it weighs. It's plenty light.

The 6' width looks just right for 2 people. The 9.5' length is long enough to put packs at our feet, and I'm 6'1".

The site is bearpawtents.com

Check it out!

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Sweet looking tent!
    Great news to hear, considering i just sent him my Golite Hex 3 so he could add 18 inches of bug netting around the perimeter. John has been a pleasure to deal with and has always answered my e-mails very promptly. His pricing is very reasonable, also. I would highly recommend him and(i hope)his work!

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

can you open/close the vent?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools