Topic

Almost lightweight stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Almost lightweight stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

My goal has been to make my version of a Trangia stove, version 1 worked very well but could not handle much wind, below is version 2 which is a completely different design and so far works extremely well. My experience has shown that alcohol stoves need good protection from gusty wind, my ‘version 1’ suffered so this stove has been over-engineered to fight this problem. Maybe version 3 will be even better !

Wanted features are :
    Reasonable size pot (holds 26oz. 1 inch from top)
    Pot taller than width.
    Sturdy design not prone to want to fall over
    Good wind protection
    No moving parts
    Parts pack into itself.

I was finally able to find two pots the same as each other except in size.

The larger pot has been converted into the pot holder and windshield. Air inlet holes have been drilled around 40% of the base. 3 small holes have been drilled near the top for the small ‘hooks’ to hang that hold the cooking pot in place.

The cooking pot is unaltered.

For now I am using a fuel holder from a Tragia stove, a pepsi or heineken can fuel holder would save some weight.
    Because the design is more compact then the Trangia I need to use the simmer ring to stop the stove from flaring up as it can produce too much heat, this means I get more mileage out of the alcohol which is good.

The fuel holder is placed in the large pot then the aluminium circle with the holes slots over it, this may be overkill but the idea is to completely seal the flame from wind gusts that can come up from the bottom of the stove. It could be left off. The simmer ring is then placed on this.

The 3 hooks I need to remake out of aluminium rod when I can get some. They are designed to keep the cooking pot centred so the heat is distributed evenly.

The white circle is a thin flexible plastic that weighs next to nothing and I use as a little cutting board, not really needed but I like it.

There are several ways I can cut down on weight which I’ll look into later.

The large pot weighs 5 oz. which for me is worth its weight because it creates a very stable pot holder and excellent wind shield. I could cut the bottom out but for now won’t as it may compromise its rigidity.

I have tested this set-up side by side with a Trangia stove.
    Without the simmer ring my stove will flare up (is this correct?) as I think it starves itself of oxygen. Otherwise it will perform the same as both are using the same fuel holder.
    When my stove had the simmer ring on and the Trangia didn’t, mine would take twice as long to boil X amount of water but the same amount of fuel would last twice as long and it could keep in simmering away.
    When both stoves had the simmer rings on, the Trangia took longer to get the water boiling and even then it never really boiled but weakly simmered.
    So I think because my stove is more compact it uses fuel more efficiently.

pot in pot holder
    On the right is the fuel holder and air ‘regulator’ that sit in the bottom of the pot holder – see next photo.

inside view
    fuel holder and air ‘regulator’ in pot with 3 pot holder hooks in place.

inside components
    Fuel holder, air ‘regulator’ and simmer ring.

packing away
    All components can be stored in the large pot with room for other items. The 2 circular items fit in snug enough to stop everything from falling out.

PS. I’m not anywhere near as hardcore as you guys and gals are so forgive me if I am a bit amateurish !

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools