Topic

Moderation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Unfortunately as of late it appears that we have the need for a little bit more help from the Mods. I've been on the forums here for years and it does seem to be taking on a bad flavor. The whole UL at REI thread is a prime example. I realize that Roger C. and the others do not get paid for their service. Granted, I believe in getting what you pay for, but you shouldn't say you'll do something and then be very hit or miss about it. BPL has been an invaluable resource for me and others through the years. I for one would like to see it continue to be such. Yes HF has very active moderators. I think we should be aiming for a middle ground of what we have going here and what is going on over there. I would also like to volunteer my services here. I visit the forums here daily(when I'm in town) and see the best and worst the BPL has to offer. Let's keep BPL great and not become the scourge of the internet forums.. Everybody please be nice. Remember the Golden Rule. Think before you post. Have fun. Thanks for your time. Ken

Read the Chat/Message Board Policies here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/policies.html#chat
    Specifically…

By participating in a chat room or message board hosted at this domain, you automatically agree to all of the rules governing your use as provided below. We may revise these terms from time to time. If you continue to participate in a chat/message board after we post changes to these terms and conditions, it will mean that you accept those changes.

Backpacking Light reserves the right to remove for any reason posted materials from a chat/message board, and the right to deny in its sole discretion any user access to a chat/message board, without notice.

While “censorship” sounds like a dirty word, you need to understand that by participating in our forums, you are agreeing to allow us to exercise our discretion in deciding whether to allow your messages to remain publicly viewable. It is important to us that we maintain a certain level of decency and courteousness, and if we do not view your message as decent, courteous, or otherwise appropriate, it will be removed from public view. If improper behavior becomes a pattern, Backpacking Light reserves the right to publicly dishonor this user by blocking future message posting and flagging the user account with information for the public to view so that other Website users can evaluate the tendencies of this user to post inappropriate information. We thank you in advance for your understanding and your cooperation in maintaining the integrity of our website.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks Ken!

Couldn't agree more.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I was typing a thread for Chaff on this very subject literally as you had posted this. What follows was going to be my thread. Ken beat me! :)

So this is not directed at anyone in particular. Let me just state that here and now.

However, as many of us have noticed, BPL has gotten a bit quarrelsome lately. This is not the BPL I became a member of, and not the type of BPL I want to see in the future.

Maybe it's the economic stress. Maybe it's the stress of yet another season of American Idol. I don't know. But can we all just take a step back from the microphone for a bit and get back to what BPL means, or has meant, to many of us?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi all

OK, this is as close to official policy as you can get, and can be over-ruled only by Ryan Jordon.

I dislike censorship immensely, and am very loath to do any of it. So if I do step in you know things were definitely getting a bit much.

We are all adults and can self-moderate to keep things polite. I hope we can do it this way instead.

Since we do have minors reading these Forum channels, I would like to keep all language (words and concepts) 'minor-friendly'.

But, comments are always welcome.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    backpacking Light

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Like Roger, I tend to take a pretty hands-off approach to moderation. I don't want to over-do it, and since I have enough permissions on the back-end to seriously disable someone's account, I tend to only target spam.

The other alternative I can see employing is a PM from me that's a simple "Play nice, please." It's hard to encourage kindness in forum debates without feeling like an overbearing boss or nosy parent. I tend to defer to Roger in those areas, as he's got a light hand that still carries authority.

I tend to kill mosquitoes with a hand grenade. Good times!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Since we do have minors reading these Forum channels, I would like to keep all language (words and concepts) 'minor-friendly'.

Roger, did you see the recent thread about the profanity filter? I really think that the filter goes way too far in suppressing words, a lot of it is so silly that it's absurd. You can't use the words "Breasts", "Gay", "Poop", "Fanny", or "Feces" (I got away with them here because I capitalized them, as Doug Ide, bless his sneaky soul, discovered). What? Who decided that these innocent words were profane? Are we still living in the 1930's???

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Yeah, I'm not even sure moderation would solve the problem. I think it has to be taken upon the members and guests to think a bit before they type. Yes, you can edit posts, but sometimes the damage has already been done.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Our web hosting service sets the profanity filter. For the record, we think it's a wee bit tight as well (Ryan laughed out loud when I told him POOP was tagged), but it's not something we control.

I guess if you want to cuss, you'll have to yell, which is just uncouth. Shame on you all around and such.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools