Topic

One-handed stuffsack cord locks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear One-handed stuffsack cord locks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johannes Eichstaedt
    BPL Member

@nonbeing

Hi everyone,

so I am trying to mod this pair of silnylon "hipsacks" which I carry behind the hipbelt pockets on either side of my SMD Comet for more hip pocket storage space. They are currently kept closed by cord that just loops through the top (like a normal stuff sack) and is then fastened with a cord lock.

Here they are:

brawny belt sack

However, it's not easy to tighten the cordlock one-handed and I have lost some gloves that way (sack not properly tightened)… I have replaced the loop with some stretch cord and ideally I would like to be able to tighten it down with one hand. The best option that I can think of are 1-handed cord locks, you know, the type that is itself attached to the little stuff sack.

Like this one here (I think):

Toaster cord lock with tie downs on 2 sides

So can you think of what the most minimalist type of cord lock is that would do the job? Where could I get it? Would you recommend 1/16" Shock Cord like zpacks is selling it to keep that sack shut? How should I fix that cord lock in place?

Your help is very much appreciated. As you can probably tell, I am a noob in MYOG matters.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Johannes

All sorts of bits and pieces of hardware and fabrics etc can be easily bought from OWFINC, Seattlefabrics, and others. They will ship overseas too. Google those names.

Cheers

johannes Eichstaedt
    BPL Member

@nonbeing

Hi Roger,

thank you for the suggestion. I had checked out OWFINC's website (and the others) before posting and was hoping for some advice from the experience of people who have already played around with that sort of thing in real life. Maybe my question it too trivial.

peace,

johannes

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Here is exactly what you are looking for.

FECWS – with slot on each side for tie down with flat draw string Black, Desert Tan, Foliage .34 .22

http://owfinc.com/Hardware/phardware.asp#Cordlocks

Some thin webbing or drawcord to hold it to the seam and some 1mm drawcord or 1/16"shockcord. The zpacks stuff should work but will stretch a lot so almost all of the cord will be hanging off the cordlock. Should mean that it seals very well, but could have limitations i hadn't considered.

-Tim

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

You can easily use any cordlocks this way, attaching them with a loop that goes through the same hole as the drawcord. This is the way it has been done before all the special cordlocks appeared.

johannes Eichstaedt
    BPL Member

@nonbeing

thank you! I´ve rigged something up that looks like it might work.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Yep, to echo Jan, securing the cord lock by the same cinch hole is the way to go. A lot of mil/tactical gear use the ITW Cordloc you pictured in this fashion, and in my experience it works better than using the auxiliary slots.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools