Topic

Pemi Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Pemi Loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Evan Hunt

@ehsender00

Locale: Mass

This is my list for a mellow 3 days in the pemi. What's a good cook system… its time to move on from the jetboil. Should I bother bringing the rain paints? And what about an insulated top- I have a powerstretch fleece listed and I have a primloft belay jacket (20 oz!!!)on hand, but could I ditch the layer all together? All suggestions welcome!

Wieght 0z.
    Clothing Worn/Carried
    REI MTS Undies 2.25
    REI Tech Tee 5.25
    REI Sahara Convertible pants 12
    REI Runners Cap 1.5
    Smartwool Light (x2) 4
    Salomon Quest 4D 49
    Montbell UL Windshirt 3
    Buff 1.25
    Windstopper Gloves 2.125
    Bug Headnet 1.25
    REI UL rain pants 9.125
    Intergral Designs event gaiter 2.25
    PowerStretch Top 12

Gear Worn
    Timex Exp. 1
    Leki Makalu Ti 15.25

Packing
    GG G4 15.125
    Force Flex bag 0.1
    ss 20l stuff sack 1.5
    Gallon Ziplock (x2) 0.5

Shelter/Sleep System
    guylines 1.125
    Gatewood Cape 11
    Easton 6" steaks (x6) 3.125
    Equinox Bivy 6.125
    GG Torsolite 3.25
    REI Kilo Flash 19.2

Cooking
    Jetboil 14.625
    Light My Fire Spork 0.125

Hydration
    AquaMira Drops 1
    1L Platy (x2) 1.8

Essentials
    pack towel 2.125
    fuel 5.75
    compass 1
    Hand Sani 1.625
    matches 0.125
    First Aid 1.625
    Duct tape 0.5
    TP 0.625
    Body Glide 2
    Petzl E-lite 1
    Spare Battery 0.25
    Cell 4.125
    knife 2.75

Consumables
    Food 20oz/day (x3) 60
    Water 64

Total: a+b+c 347.35 / 21.709375
    (a) Base Pack Weight 102.1 / 6.38125
    (b) Consumables 124 / 7.75
    (c) Clothing/Gear worn or carried 121.25 / 7.578125

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Do you have a rain jacket listed? I would bring a rain jacket and drop the wind shirt. (Ooops – just realized you have the Cape for rain gear.)

Personally, in the summer in the Whites I don't bring rain pants. I hike in shorts and bring a cuben rain skirt (0.8oz) to keep the shorts dry. Then I pack lightweight long underwear which I wear under the shorts for cool evening temps. Since you have the Cape – you could wear shorts and skip the rain skirt.

Assuming you will be camping at either Liberty Springs Campsite or Guyot Shelter (or both as it may be) you will probably be required to use a tent platform. If you haven't pitched your Gatewood Cape on a tent platform before it can be a little challenging. You might want to bring one or two tiny eye screws just in case the platforms lack eyescrews to anchor the cape with.

As far as stoves, there are many options available. You might be better served thinking about your requirements and priorities (weight vs boil time vs durability vs cook in pot or boil only, etc) and reading up on some of the existing stove threads.

Do you have a pack liner or pack cover to keep your stuff dry?

Regarding upper body insulation – I wouldn't go without it anywhere in the Whites even in the summer. This past weekend was the first time in years that I didn't need my insulation layer at camp at least once – but it's been really out of the ordinary hot lately. For lower body I bring lightweight longjohns as mentioned above.

shawn weld

@spoon

Locale: NorthEast

Hey Evan, The Pemi Loop is one of my favorite hikes in the WMNF…love Bondcliff. I'll be doing a 30 mile loop next door in the Wild River Wilderness starting Monday…My first real hike since busting my ankle 2 months ago (if you hear a whistle I re-busted it). I don't think I'll be bringing rain pants…debating whether to hike in nylon pants or shorts. I'm leaving my Jetboil home and going with either my MSR Kettle or snow peak 600…probably the MSR. Have fun in the Pemi…

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Hey,
    Would bring insulated top for in camp, reports have been "warm" from AMC friends working up there but it is the Whites, things can change quick. Ditch the rain pants, Alcohol or Esbit stove would be a lighter option if you have either. Also, quilters push pin's work great as "stake's" on tent platforms, ask caretakers if they are cool with this first.

Enjoy my old stomping grounds, tell caretaker Cuppa Joe at Liberty Springs Jim says "Hi"

Have a great trip

Evan Hunt

@ehsender00

Awesome, thank you all for the advice! I will definitely ditch the rain pants and Sahara pants for shorts; and also bring along my belay jacket (even though its heavy, I do need it). After some thinking I have settled on the MSR PocketRocket and a .9l ti pot from REI. With cost being the main factor, this seems to be a reliable system that will save almost 1/2lb from the jetboil. Any thoughts on the pocketrocket? Also, Ive pitched the cape once on a tent platform, it wasnt easy but i'll try the clothespin method. Are there truly no ground spots near liberty springs and/or guyot???

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

If cost is a factor, look at the 3 cup pot from Anti Gravity Gear or the famous "K-Mart" Grease Pot sold at End 2 End Trail Supply. They are both light and cheap, true thru-hiker classics. You could also make an Alcohol stove for nothing.

If you really want a canister stove, I like the Snow Peak Gigapower better than the Pocket Rocket. The Pocket Rocket has flimsy pot supports, and they are pointy, and therefore more likely to do damage to something else in your pack.

shawn weld

@spoon

Locale: NorthEast

For 30 cents you can build a cat can stove that is fun to make, easy to use and weighs practically nothing. Spots are hard to come by and I hate paying to sleep on a slab of wood. Which is why I sold my Tarptent and now hike with a hammock. Hiking primarily in the Whites…I think hammocks are the way to go. There is no shortage of trees and I don't need level ground. Anyways, there are hidden spots…but you may have more success along the Franconia Brook Trail and other lower elevation areas.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

>>>Are there truly no ground spots near liberty springs and/or guyot???<<<

Liberty Springs is in Franconia Notch State Park where camping is restricted to designated areas. There may be "overflow" spots that the caretaker might let you use, but I would be prepared to use a platform.

Guyot definetely has overflow spots but again you're at the mercy of the caretaker. While Guyot is not in the State Park you are still subject to the rules regarding camping far enough from the trail, and you are also within the Forest Service's working definition of "above treeline" in much of that area so once again camping is restricted to designated areas. The terrain is also challenging for ground camping at non designated sites unless you're willing to descend off your route down into the valleys for camping. (That's an option but I like sleeping up high were the air is cooler, the views are nicer, and there are less bugs.)

Here is a tip for pitching the cape on a tent platform. Pull your guylines toward the edge of the platform and you can usually slot the guylines between the decking boards. Then take a stake and hold it under the decking boards and girth hitch the guyline to the stake.

There are also usually eye screws in place all around the platform that you can tie the guylines to. I just bring one or two extras in case I need one in a spot. (Some people will scream bloody murder that this is not an acceptable practice but imo if they're going to make me use a platform I'm going to make certain my shelter is stable and can withstand winds and rain for the night.)

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Wind shirt, "Sweater Layer", and rain jacket is warmth enough. The Pemi route offers plenty of options to get out of the wind and cold. I do not use a bivy in the summer.
    I would not take the lower portion of the converta pants, but would take rain pants. They are good for long pant warmth around camp or wind protection along the ridges. I use them as I would long pants.

The bivy would make a nice ground cover, but you have the Gatewood Cape as an emergency back-up that could act as your bivy.

The Gatewood was my favorite shelter until I switched to the Wild Oasis for bug protection. I never liked it as a poncho.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

I agree, he doesn't need a full on parka. But he was asking if he could ditch the upper body insulation layer completely and I don't think that's smart.

Something like a fleece or down sweater is fine. Personally I use the montbell down inner but there are plenty of other options.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

This would be the season for a MB inner down jacket or something comparable from years past, full on big puffy coat would be overkill.

Guessing if convertible pants are an option bring those as well and wear the legs in camp as Frank mentioned.

Good choice with the Pocket Rocket

Liberty Springs has some pretty decent overflow spots just past the water source. Climb up over the small rock ledge and follow to the end, You'll notice a primitive path there and follow to the clearing. If someone is there go too left and you will see another path leading through some brush go about 30 feet up this too another clearing that will sleep about 10 will a killer sunset viewing area.

Guyout is pretty limited for overflow sites, plan on getting there as early as possible.

Have a great trip, hoping to get back there soon myself.
    Jim

Evan Hunt

@ehsender00

I guess then the Polartec Powerstretch fleece and windshirt over my baselayer should be plenty for around camp. Again, thanks all for the advice- I'm really looking forward to this trip!

Rick Beaty

@reeock

Locale: New England

I love the pemi and always keep finding myself back there. After reading the responses the two items Id suggest are the Minibull Atomic alcohol stove($20). the thing weighs nothing and runs best on gas line antifreeze you can get cheap any most gas stations!

http://www.minibulldesign.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1516635

most importantly, up near liberty if there are no platforms available finding a good level stealth spot might be hard. Take a hammock. They are superlite, and super comfy.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Warbonnet%20Outdoors%20Blackbird%20Hammock/Test%20Report%20by%20Kurt%20Papke/

did a quick overnighter during a 4 degree cold snap last year up near the falls, got some great shots :

http://crookedblueline.blogspot.com/2010/01/for-love-of-river.html

good luck!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools