Topic

Favorite 1-pot or “add boiling water only” meals?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Favorite 1-pot or “add boiling water only” meals?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Danny Nathan
    BPL Member

@amongmany

Looking for a few options for favorite backcountry meals that don't require a ton of work. My fave Is cous cous due to preparation ease. Get "flavored" one and then add some dehydrated mushrooms for a tasty meal. Obviously ramen is another option, but not one of my faves. I've done quite a bit of mac and cheese in the backcountry too, but it's pretty messy.

Would love some other ideas. NOT looking for the bagged meals found at outdoor stores though.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Search Danny! Search :-) (Or rather…skim back a few pages – you will get lots of tasty ideas that I, Dicentra and Laurie – and many others have posted over the years.

Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

I don't really like ramen with the packets, but I added some tomato sauce to my ramen (sans packet) last time and it was delicious! you could pack the tomato sauce in a bag or something so you're not carrying around a tin can. It probably won't get funky until after a couple days.

If I were to make soup, I'd make miso. You can buy soy and soy-free miso, which will not really go bad, and add to it any kind of dried mushroom, onion, or other veg. Some people like dried nori (seaweed) too. You can get some interesting dried foods at Chinese groceries.

Also, there's no reason you have to have hot food, especially in the summer, is there? I made some Golden Graham bars that are better than s'mores and pack like granola bars.

Jake
    BPL Member

@trekmore

Locale: Colorado

I just came up with this for a trip I am doing in a few days w my four year old. We both tried it and it tasted good.

2 packets of Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles (toss all seasoning except 1 chili oil pack).
    14 (yum) teaspoons of powdered cheddar cheese (from Savory Spice Shop in Denver)
    Pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder.
    Added 2.25-2.5 cups of boiling water and set in zip lock for 4-5 minutes.
    Added cheese/spice mix
    Added 7ox foil pack of chicken (could you dehydrated obviously)
    May adjust the water based on if you want it thicker or thinner. Oh ya and add the chili oil pack (not spicy really, adds a good flavor).

– Jake

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

My recipe style requires a bit of work at home but generally rehydrates quickly on the trail. I tend to lean that way with foods. I like great-tasting fare but I don't want a ton of work in camp (unless I decide to bake).

Here is my recipe for Minestrone that you could easily add pasta to in order to make it more traditional…

Minestrone
    courtesy of A Fork in the Trail
    ©Laurie Ann March 2008

Dehydration Time: 7–10 hours
    Makes 4–6 servings

This hearty and flavorful minestrone has been one of my family’s favorites for years. Serve it with a piece of garlic bannock.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    5 thin slices pancetta, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 medium carrots, chopped
    1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
    1 celery stalk, chopped
    2 tablespoons celery leaves, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups canned diced tomatoes (with juice)
    1 tablespoon parsley
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    1-ounce rind of Parmesan cheese
    1 pound Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
    2 cups plus ½ cup low-sodium beef or vegetable stock
    2 cups cannellini or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Parmesan cheese (optional)

At Home
    In a large pot sauté the pancetta in the olive oil until it is crisp. Remove the pancetta and set aside. Pour the onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery in the pot and stir. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the celery leaves and garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the tomatoes, parsley, rosemary, and cheese rind and let simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add the Swiss chard and 2 cups of the stock. Purée half of the beans with the 1/2 cup remaining stock in a blender or food processor. Pour into the pot and simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Then add the remaining whole beans to the pot and heat through. Remove the cheese rind and the rosemary spring. Allow the soup to cool.

Measure the soup and write this measurement on a sticky note. Pour the soup onto lined dehydrator trays and dry for 7 to 10 hours or until no moisture remains. Put the dried soup in a ziplock freezer bag along with the sticky note.

At Camp
    Add enough boiling water to the soup mix to equal the measurement on your sticky note. Do not add the water first or you will have too much liquid. Once the soup has rehydrated, heat it through and serve. Garnish the soup with some shaved Parmesan.

Tips: to make this vegetarian simple omit the pancetta

This Chana Masala is another one that takes a bit of effort at home, but at camp you just boil water, add it to the dried ingredients, cozy and wait. I usually set up camp while I wait for dinner to rehydrate.

GetOut Zine – Chana Masala (you need to cut the potatoes smaller than what Mary did for the photo as they will rehydrate faster that way)

Chipotle Pulled Pork, once again, requires some work at home. That pays off on the trail though…

Wilderness Cooking – Chipotle Pulled Pork

I often make these meals at home for dinner and then simply dehydrate the leftovers. Kills two birds with one stone.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools