Topic

3rd Annual Bay Area BPL Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 3rd Annual Bay Area BPL Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 704 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Greg it is a can't miss spot. The use trail goes right by it. It is just before the bench and it is along the creek. It is an amazing spot

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Count me in and mark me down as the unofficial photographer of the trip. :)

Two nights is a great idea.

For those people taking the time and effort to travel from distant places, two days makes it more of a payoff vs. and overnighter. (More time driving than hiking in some cases).

Not sure that this is the area we will be at, if we go to Ventana, but here are some photos of the area fro a trip that Jeremy and I took.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=14718

-Tony

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

I hope I can get past whatever my problem was last year.

So far this year, I'm doing better in the heat, so maybe whatever brain damage I had from that heat episode is gradually recovering (my doc thinks it was the issue in my heat & altitude problems last year)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Cary, there is always next summer. That trip last year was awesome, and your dad was too!!!!!!!

Cary, we should do Piute Pass into Evolution and back over Darwin Bench and back over Lamarck Col next summer-health permitting

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

and for those that have never been to Pine Valley in Ventana, here is a picture to give you an idea of how large the area is:Pine Valley

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

My avatar picture was taken from the Darwin Bench-Lake 11,582..That area is spectacular but it reminds of the Moon in regards to landscape..Me and friends were caught in pretty good storm later in the day….I was at the Carmel River this past weekend(day hike)–I am in for sure—Can't wait for that hike….

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

If you really want some cross country….

Piute then over Alpine Col to Darwin Bench and out Lamarck. Or if you really want a challenge then give Snow Tongue Pass a try to cross Glacier Divide. It was the hairiest pass I've done.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Just an FYI, if we do choose Pine Valley for the destination, I don't know how "kid friendly" the hike is for children 10 years or younger. As a parent, that will be your choice as you know your childs limitations. The hike is about 1000 feet elevation loss on a steep switchbacking trail, we downed trees, over grown brush to climb around. Obviously it will be 1000 feet or so coming back up. This is a great trip to take a spouse if you do chose, since space would not be an issue with a two person tent.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

If you really want some cross country….

Piute then over Alpine Col to Darwin Bench and out Lamarck. Or if you really want a challenge then give Snow Tongue Pass a try to cross Glacier Divide. It was the hairiest pass I've done

Man, I have seen pics of that route….would love to but wow, it is hard. Cary and I have never been to Evolution so I hope to talk him into that one first!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

bump

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Hey guys!

I would like to put my name in for the trip. My first child is on the way around Sept. 1st but I think Jan. or Feb. would be a nice time to get out for a weekend!

I'm in San Luis Obispo so I am glad you guys are looking at Ventana for this trip. The last few trips have looked like a blast. As a long time member here it would be great to meet some of you.

Ryan

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ryan, family permitting you are more than welcome to join us.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"If you really want some cross country…."

I suggest an alternative. Start at South Lake and go west over Bishop Pass. Down through Dusy Basin to the JMT in LeConte Canyon, then north up to the Muir Hut. North through Evolution, then cut up to Darwin Bench and over Lamarck Col. Down past Grassy Lake to North Lake.

It can be done as a boot trip in the summer, or a X-C ski trip in the spring.

–B.G.–

Morgan Sherman

@morganpsherman

Locale: Central Coast, CA

I also live in San Luis Obispo, but unlike Ryan above I am brand new to BPL site. I'd like to tentatively throw my name in as seriously interested if you guys don't mind a newbie…

Thanks,

Morgan

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Morgan. It looks like Ventana will be the choice location for the 3rd annual. I don't think we will have to limit the amount of people like we did at Point Reyes. You are certainly welcome. Hopefully those coming will want to come for the whole two day event! Looking forward to seeing you there.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Morgan, you are more than welcome to join in. There are a few central coasters that attend these. As Ken stated in the previous post, Point Reyes was limiting and the whole wait list, saying no to someone was quite burdensome…Ken and I were trying to come up with a place that would allow us to have everyone attend. So far Ventana Wilderness is the winner, unless a better place with no restrictions comes up.

Morgan Sherman

@morganpsherman

Locale: Central Coast, CA

Thanks Ken… and Ken! I'm happy you guys are so welcoming. I'll be watching this thread and trying to keep Jan/Feb clear on my schedule until a date is set. Hopefully Ventana will work out and I'll get a chance to meet some BPL-ers this winter.

Morgan

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

My wife and I will probably be down. How big of a group have you had in the past?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

30+ last year. Would have had more if space allowed. Expect 50+ this time around. First year we had 11 I think. See you there.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

do we have a date and place set in stone yet? just went to my ortho today, and i can hike again!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

That's great, where you been man! You'r missing a great hike this weekend. I sent you a pm, dont know if you got it or not, will let you know how this hike goes. Good to see you on the forum again. Jack

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Wow, that's a good sized group, and mostly coming out of the bay area… pretty cool. Sounds like you guys have been at Wildcat the last couple of times, that's an awesome camp locale (other than the skunks), I'm looking forward to the announcement of the destination. Thanks for putting this together.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jacob most likely it will be in late Feb. and Ventana Wilderness

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Just an update. After discussing the location and date with Ken T. we both have arrived with this.

Offical announcement here:

Date: Friday-Saturday, Feb. 25th-26th
    Location: Ventana Wilderness, China Camp Trailhead to Pine Valley.

If you plan on attending please check in with us. We have plenty of space this year and it should be a blast. Things that will be discussed are a buffet on Sat. and a gear Swap that will come on the conclusion of the hike on Sunday. If anyone has any suggestions to make this even more fun please chime in.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I'll be first to put my name in!

Look forward to it, it'll be here before you know it……

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 704 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools