Topic

100% merino tops and bottoms, $25

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 100% merino tops and bottoms, $25

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA
    Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

If you order these size down. I ordered Med, which I almost aways wear, and they fit like XL.

Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

Locale: PNW

use the coupon code "stimulus" for an additional 15% off the already 50%. so 65% off. wow. that might just sell me.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Does the coupon apply after the 50%? Like Sale price $25 then an additional 10% off or 65% total off the original price?

Chad Helmke
    BPL Member

@the-gear-recycler

Locale: High Rockies

Just ordered a few items and yes, the 15% "stimulus" code gets you an additional percent off the sale price! Can't wait to get these!

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Thanks Brett,
    That's a total bargin. Just ordered some pants and a shirt.

Chad Helmke
    BPL Member

@the-gear-recycler

Did some digging on Botach Tactical (after I ordered unfortunately…) and their reviews are hit or miss with quite a few misses. Some really angry folks as a matter of fact. Read before you buy is my suggestion. Hope everyone gets their stuff!

Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

Locale: PNW

just got mine in the mail. and whoa. they run really BIG for their size. anyway. cant wait to try them once it cools off. quality seems pretty good from just casually looking at them. does wool shrink? hmm.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

Joseph – Thanks for the report. Is it safe to say that a XXL would actually run like an XXXL?

Chad Helmke
    BPL Member

@the-gear-recycler

Just got mine yesterday as well-fast shipping and exactly as ordered. As far as sizing, I would say size up one size from normal as I normally wear a generous cut L or normal cut XL and got size L in these and the fit is right on. Nice stuff.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

I just placed my order last night. I'll post again when they come in. Has anyone ordered the Coyote brown? I was wondering what it looked like since there isn't a pic of it on the website.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

I got my order today. Don't know what the brown looks like, I got the black. I got large, I am always right in the middle of large tops and bottoms. I'm 5'10" currently 200lbs. My pants flux between 34-38 depending on my current fitness level. Large usualy works. These are easily XL. I am currently wearing my fat pants at a 38in waist. The elastic band around the waist of these wool pants does not even need to flex, it would fit a 42in waist easily. I also have very broad sholders and this shirt hangs like a tent on me. I should have listened to everyone else. oh'well. If you are normally a large get a medium for sure.

Brian Martin
    BPL Member

@xiled1

Locale: AZ

Like has been said, downsize at least one. I got the XL's and the pants are easily XXXL. I'd say a 44-50" waist. The shirt is large as well, but I think I can use that in layering, so I'm keeping it.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Has anyone had a chance to try these long enough to comment on the "itch factor?" I'm always afraid to try off-brand merino, suspecting that it may be larger micron and itch. Even if the price is attractive, and they are, the clothes would be worthless if they itched.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

I got my Merino tops and bottoms last week. They subsequently went back to the company tonight.

Reasons:
    1. They were itchy. They weren't extremely itchy, so if you wear wool often you may not mind, but I have sensitive skin, especially with tighter fitting clothes and it was an annoyance for me that I couldn't overlook. I tried them on and wore them around the house 3 times and it didn't change over time, I still noticed it.
    2. They were HEAVY. The XXL short sleeve weighed 14 oz and the long sleeve was 17 oz. I didn't even bother with the pants. I have no need to carry close to 3 pds in 3 clothing items. Also, I'm sure they could be used in the summer (i.e. hydrophobic, don't smell, etc), but they were so heavy I wouldn't want to. I REALLY wish Smartwool would make a loose fitting XXL or 3XL… I'd buy out the supply.

3. (although not a reason they were sent back) – As mentioned by others, they run large. I got the XXL and they easily could have passed for 3XL or 4XL. Again, since I like looser fitting clothes, I wouldn't have minded this, but others who want a closer/tighter fit would have.

Hope this helps people on future purchases.

OH – And the Coyote Brown is actually a pretty nice color. I didn't mind it at all, it's certainly not beige, but darker.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools