Topic

Boot/Shoe Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Boot/Shoe Recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Glascock
    Spectator

@attt4221

I am attempting to lighten my gear. Do you have any suggestions/recommendations as far as boots/trail runners? Currently I am considering Salomon XA Pro 3D gtx, mid and low shoes and Merrell Moab mid gtx boots. I tried the Northface Hedgehog and Northface 105 Ultra–I liked both but the fit was tight. Thanks for any help!

Jerry G.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Love the XA Pro 3D but would reco against the gtx. They will likely leak and if they do get wet they take forever to dry. I am waiting patiently for my gtx to wear out so I can correct the mistake I made. Also, I wouldn't get the mids, too expensive and I don't see they value in them. Both the mids and the GTX will wear warmer causing your feet to sweat more and everything that goes with that.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

For summer use? Definitely not the GTX versions. Prune feet.

Key requirements: Comfort, comfort and comfort. Seriously.

Make sure whatever your buy is a bit loose in the shop: your feet WILL swell while walking.

Otherwise, note that your feet are different from everyone else's, so your selection may be different.

Cheers

Jerry Glascock
    Spectator

@attt4221

Thanks

Any suggestions for dry shoes if I forgo the goretex? Also, any other shoe recommendations?

Jerry Glascock
    Spectator

@attt4221

Thanks, Roger

Any shoe recommendations?

Currently I have custom Limmer leather boots which are great–had them for 5 years–but are too darn heavy! As I indicated above, I am trying to lighten everything including my boots.

Jerry Glascock
    Spectator

@attt4221

Greg, any suggestions as to shoes? Go with the non goretex XA Pro 3D or a non goretex light boot as the Merrell?

Thanks!

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

best thing I have found is go to a running/trail running shop, tell them what type of terrain you'll be going through and what shoes that have suitable for that. you'll get a lot of shoes you never looked up and one might be great for you. that's how I found my la sportiva's and Montrails. everyone's feet are different so recommendations based on what other people use my not be the best bet because fit is by far the most important thing.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Jerry,
    I personally love the Xa Pros but you will have to see if they work for you. I will say that there are much cheaper options out there that could also work for you.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have the XA Pro 3D (non-gortex) and a pair of XA Pro Comp 4 GTX (which I use for just special kinds of trips). Overall the XA Pros are the best hiking shoe I have ever owned. The Comp 4's are great shoes with the GTX limitation.

But as previously mentioned, it is because these shoes fit me perfectly. I have never had a single foot problem with either shoe.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Any shoe recommendations?

You haven't given ANy info about what size you need, what width shoes you need, or whether your feet are 'fat' or 'thin'. So it is a bit hard …

Have a look at the reviews published here at BPL. We have quite a few. Some shoes reviewed are no longer available, but the reviews have helpful comments in them (I hope!).

My wife and I wear a lot of New Balance shoes because they work for us. I find the New Balance web store at http://www.nbwebexpress.com very useful as they do actually list useful data about their shoes, unlike so many other companies which don't tell you a thing. And you can search on specifications like 4E etc.

But many others like other brands, so …

Cheers

Jerry Glascock
    Spectator

@attt4221

Thank you, Nick
    They seem to fit me very well. I wonder if the fit is the same for both goretex and non goretex?

I prefer the non goretex but am concerned about cold and wet feet.

Jerry Glascock
    Spectator

@attt4221

I am a jogger and wear NB size 10.5. D width. The fit is perfect. I will check the NB models per your advice.

Still ruminating over the gore tex issue–don't really want it, but. . . do not wish wet feet.

Thanks for your help!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have a pair of Solomon XA Pro 3D's both in GTX and non GTX. I rarely use the GTX model as they make my feet sweat so much. Even through the winter I prefer the non GTX versions, and would recommend against GTX footwear for most backpackers. I am on my 3rd pair of XA Pro 3D's with over 600 miles on every pair. I have been really happy with them, but shoes are a very personal thing. I recommend going to a running store and having them fit you for trail runners.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Jerry,

I have to different models of Salomons, one mesh and one Gortex. Fit is identical. In cold weather, wet weather your activity will keep your feet warm and the wetness will dry quickly in non-Gortex. GTX can and will get wet, and it takes forever to dry. I mostly use the GTX boots in cold weather and sandy desert conditions. The GTX breathes well enough for me in cold weather and the GTX keeps the fine sand and dust that normally would penetrate the mesh out of my shoes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools