Topic

Roll down type bag closures

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Roll down type bag closures

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Does anyone on BPL know of a source for the roll down, dry bag, type of closure?

I am interested in the closure only for a MYOG project.

Party On,

Newton

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

What I would do is roll/fold the material down a few times to get the desired amount of stiffness in the roll top edge. You could sew or bond these layers to make them one thick layer. You could also use fabric stiffener from a craft store to stiffen the edge without using a bunch of layers. Once I had the top end adequately stiff, I would sew on a 1/2" buckle (~$0.50 @ QuestOutfitters) using probably a bit of light grosgrain to loop through the buckle on each side.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Walmart sells a set of 3 Outdoor Products dry sacks 3 different sizes -$10 for the set. Product # 153WM-000. Manufacturer http://www.outdoorproducts.com. They are PU coated nylon. You can scavenge the closure. And if you can pick them up locally, no shipping.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Dan,

I like your idea of a MYOG way of creating the closure. I actually considered using grosgrain or webbing as the stiffener that you suggested.

John,

I have those WalMart bags that you mentioned in your post. I can use the buckles but unfortunately I need a larger closure. I will need it to be aproximatley 18" wide or more for my project.

Party On,

Newton

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

John, I have done a roll down top closure that works well. Here is a link to pics…

roll top pack

As suggested I simply used 3/4" gross grain (stiffer type) that was run through a large draw string type chamber at the top of the extension collar. I let the gross grain come out on the sides and sew in a 3/4" buckle. To close it I simply fold over the gross grain just like you do a dry bag and buckle it.

Now for the field report. The roll top closure performed really well. It closed well and stayed closed, but it did not hold the top compression as tight as I wanted. I'm not sure any dry bag can do this really well. In looking at the new BPL pack I suspect its roll top will top compress better. Take a look at how the top straps come down the side, not buckle across the top.

I do think this type of closure will perform better at keeping out light rain. Many traditional UL packs have areas that can "pool" water when the collar isnt full. This design removes this. Field testing did not include much inclimant weather so this is untested (it never rains when you want it to).

I am currently redesigning this pack with a focus on how to improve pack opening and closing. I think I have a way to do it, I just need to test it out.

Jamie

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Jamie,

You and I are on the same page.

Instead of the "dry bag style" of closure think about using your MYOG style of roll down closure along with an "adjustable buckle" on either side of the bag for the mating parts of the "roll down buckles" to join together. Then you could use the adjustment to afford yourself the top compression you are looking to achieve.

Party On,

Newton

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

!8 inches is pretty big. Is this a daypack or something? . I think anything stiff will do even a plastic if you can enclose it in a sleeve, The other key seems to be a neoprene strip to grip. I'm using an OR Dry Creek Bagger as a daypack/ stuff-sack for my down. Works well with a granite gear airvent compression bag inside.Double water proofing.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

iamnot,

U R 2 correct in assuming that it is a pack. :-)

>>Double water proofing<<

Silnylon main bag with a WalMart 2 mil trash compactor bag as an inside the pack waterproof liner. I just did a 10 day trip on the AT and had not one hole or tear in the inner bag and everything stayed dry except us. :-)

>>neoprene strip to grip<<

I had this thought about one or two well placed velcro dots?

Party On,

Newton

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

v
    Velcro sounds interesting but I think its more about the seal to the fabric. When you consider the 3 folds and the loop it isn't much tension. I think a neoprene or rubber strip at least forms a seal. The Velcro sounds good but in cross section it leaks because it is fuzzy to the hooks, not rubber to a smooth surface? Make Sense?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

John,

>>rubber to a smooth surface? Make Sense?<<

It certainly does.

I wonder if simply putting a light coat of silicone of one side of the closure would perform the same function?

It could be a mixture of silicone and mineral spirits, Permatex flowable windshield sealer or maybe just an evenly applied coating of clear silicone sealant.

I am not :-) trying to create a dry bag as much as I am trying to achieve compression and closure of the pack top.

My current pack has a drawstring closure and I just wanted to "improve" on the closure by incorporating into it a "felled seam" of sorts by using the roll down style.

Thanks for your input.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools