Topic

Looking for a New Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a New Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

While at Philmont for my OATC trek, I just about destroyed my pack. And I figure this is a great time to get a lighter pack. The only problem, I know nothing about internal framed packs (well almost nothing).

I've been searching around and 3 packs have caught my eye, ULA Circuit, GG Mariposa, and Osprey Aether 70. As you can see these are pretty much all across the board. My base-weight without my pack is just under 14.5 lbs. And as for volume, I honestly have no idea how much I need. All I know is my old pack was close to 5,000 and that is WAY to much.

Any advice on these packs or suggestions on other packs would be greatly appreciated.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
    Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

The ULA Circuit would be a great choice. If you want to try on Osprey packs, I'd get the Aether 60 instead of the 70 — the 60 is plenty large enough for a mid-lightweight load. The advantage of Osprey of course is that you can drag all your gear down to the outfitter and pack it up.

Another pack that you should consider is the SMD Starlite. I've used one for five years now, and it carries my winter gear very nicely.

Elliott Hollander
    BPL Member

@elliotth27

Locale: Georgia

I recently acquired a GG Murmur, and absolutely love it. I'm sure the Mariposa would be just as great.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

I've been doing some research on Osprey and am becoming more and more impressed with their packs, the Circuit is still a contender though. The atmos, and aether are looking better and better. The exos is working its way in, although I think my gear is too heavy for it.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have never found the airspeed / airscape type Osprey suspensions worth beans. Yes, great for ventilation, but suspect in keeping any load close to your back / center of gravity where it should be. Having said that, that was with older versions. I believe Osprey had reduced the bow in those suspensions.

The Osprey Aether series is really nice for heavier weights but overkill and quite heavy for loads under 30 lbs (the original Aether 60 was 3lbs, 6oz. The new one is almost 2lbs heavier).

However, the Circuit is an amazing pack for loads under 30lbs. Yes, it can carry loads higher than that and will not implode, but it has a sweet spot on the other side of 30 lbs. The belt is possible the best in the business short of Mchale – for all available packs. Wide, supportive, not too thick with dual buckle adjustment. The shoulder straps are nicely padded and wide, and the delron hoop does a really good job at load transfer to the hipbelt. All this for just over 2lbs!

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

+1 about trying osprey on. parts of the frame poked me and is overkill for any light weight trips. if you are on this forum, my guess is that you will regret an osprey as you read more. ULA, six moons, or gossomer gear is the way to go and if you dont like it after you use it a coupla times, you can always move it on gear swap.

ULA circuit or catalyst should do you fine if you are looking for more support and a frame like a heavier pack. also try on a granite gear nimbus or vapor. not as many features, but super comfy up to 35lbs and still half as heavy as an aether

Skip Booth
    BPL Member

@the1skipper

I completely agree with David. I transitioned from a Osprey Aether 70 to an ULA Circuit and never missed a beat. Between 20 and 30 pounds the ULA Circuit carries like a charm and even though I love Osprey packs, frankly they are just overkill if you base weight is below 15 pounds. I also really like the mesh pockets on the ULA circuit for storing wet-gear and water bladders outside the pack. For summer trips I use my ULA Conduit and it carries great up to 20 lbs.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

So as of right now my mind is set on the ULA Circuit.

David Ure

@familyguy

Warren – give it a shot. If it is not what you want, you can always send it back. But I suspect you will be very impressed with the quality of ULA, and of course the comfort.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools