Topic

Shelter – what to do?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Locale: All Over California

I'm about to leave on a 3 day solo trip in Grand Teton NP. I want a new tent and I have been trying to make up my mind about what to do, and I've waited a little too long. The tent I want to get is backordered.

I have experience camping with military-type tarps, and I could put together a kit like that for $20 and about a pound. However, I've never had to do it with nighttime temps in the 20s, or with a down bag to defend from water.

On the other hand, someone lent me a very nice tent – but it weighs almost five pounds, taking my baseweight to just under 17 pounds with the canister – ulgh.

What would you do?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"What would you do?"

1. I would never have gotten into an equipment jam like this, but that is a personal matter.

2. Just because the ideal tent that you want is unavailable, that leaves about a dozen other tents that would do just fine, and they would be much lighter than almost five pounds.

–B.G.–

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Yes, Bob, I boned it. I admit it.

If my choices are carrying a heavy tent for 2 nights and waiting for the tent I want, or buying something else, I'll suck it up for this trip.

I guess I was just looking for another perspective for those two options.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you name the particular ideal tent that you had in mind, then maybe somebody here will suggest the nearest equivalent tent.

–B.G.–

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

It was going to be a Double Rainbow. A double because the main purpose for having the tent is for the comfort of my partner. I live in a place with generally mild weather, so when close to home I experiment with various borrowed and improvised gear when I go solo.

If the trip was Big Sur, I'd bring a trash bag and some twine…

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

I also had a close eye on the SMD Lunar Duo…

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Don't know how common rain is in the tetons but I would take the tarp and only use it if it rains.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

is your Teton trip solo? if so, here's an idea :) look into a poncho/tarp- golite, integral designs, others- usually under $100- now you have a solo shelter (and rain gear)- in addition this is a great piece of kit to throw into your day hiking pack as well so it shouldn't be wasted $ even when you get your rainbow

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Mike, again the poncho tarp evangelist! :-)

I'm looking at them again, but it seems like the same issue I always run into – they don't provide enough coverage to go without a bivy. So that that then adds to the cost of what was going to be a stopgap – although I have been meaning to get a bivy…

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Mike – I don't see trekking poles on your gear list – do you rely on trees?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

yup- I carry trekking poles, thanks for catching that :)

your right, you would realistically have to figure in cost of a bivy w/ a poncho/tarp- that does add significantly to the cost

unless you can find a suitable replacement for the double rainbow, sounds like the 5 lb borrowed tent might be the most logical option

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

I think you got it, Mike. I'm a little squeamish about that weather.

Even if I did decide to get the Lunar Duo, or the rainbow for that matter, I'd still have to seam-seal it, and learn to set it up, make a footprint, blah blah blah. Not to mention having to have it shipped to a remote location in Wyoming, all in a couple of days.

Well, then the gear list is official :-)

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Four extra pounds is not going to make or break your trip, but if those were my only two choices, I'd go with the tarp. The temps in the Tetons are not predicted to get below 40F over the next week and there is not a high probability of rain. Wind could be an issue but since you have experience with tarps, you already know how to handle that. Just add some bug protection and you're good.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Double Rainbows come up all the time on the gear swap. I have one but always use my tarp with bivy. If you have experience with a tarp then go ahead and use a tarp. If you don't like it you can then get the Double Rainbow.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools