Topic

Modded Salomon Raid Revo 30

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modded Salomon Raid Revo 30

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

Took off the top clamshell-style lid and replaced it with a simple nylon extension collar and cord compression system. Ditched original 1-1/2" webbing/buckles for cords and cord-locks. Replaced original heavy poly collar with lightweight coated Wallyworld nylon. Uses two cord-locks to secure two cords arcing over the top of the pack, starting near the pack's haul loop. These cords originate, however, from their respective sewn-in positions on the body of the pack. Perhaps the following pictures show what I'm trying to explain:

Original design:
    Note elastic in lid, mesh insert, general overcomplication

Showing the "pivot point" fixed loops for the long cords:
    Cord loop attachment

New extension collar:
    Front of pack, showing full roll-top height

Fully stuffed:
    Independently adjustable top compression

The attachment points for the cords, as is, create a sort-of compression effect as the cord-locks are drawn up, but they also have a tendency to "pull" or pinch the front and back of the pack together, which just makes it carry weird sometimes. So I'm thinking of just cutting the cords out and attaching them to the loops with a knot. For now though, I like them where they are.

Removed approx. 4oz from the pack's weight, and it clocks in at 1lb. 3oz. now. I've carried 25lbs in it with an additional 3/8" torso foamy rolled up for structure. The back panel is thick enough for underfoot duty once its bedtime. The hip-belt pockets hold a days worth of bars and a headlamp.

Overall, I think these mods made a decent pack much more versatile. I can use the Raid Revo for maybe 70% of my trips now. Even so, I think it'll last me quite while, but I look forward to wearing it out…

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Very cool Vincent, thanks for sharing. It looks like you've managed to take an active style multi-sport pack and deconstruct it into a pack more suited for UL backpacking. I like the idea of modifying gear available to suit your needs. The weight and features all fall well within what is available from many pack makers we UL'ers purchase from, often for much more.

Salomon has the accessory front packs for adding additional storage, something to consider.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I trimmed mine down a lot.I only removed I didn't add anything. i took mine down from a 1lb8oz to 1lb 2oz. 'm still debating taking more off like the lid and a hip belt pocket. All in all though this type of pack fits great and they are light enough to begin with Plus they have so many features to can choose to keep or cut out.

I think its a good pack for the $60 I paid for it. Way cheaper than most 30L featured pack and at a lower weight than most mainstream packs.(saves me from buying a Golite Peak)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools