Topic

Snow conditions in Desolation/Yosemite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Snow conditions in Desolation/Yosemite?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

I have two trips coming up. Anyone know the current snow levels at Desolation Wilderness/Tahoe area? How about the Yosemite high country? What elevation has the snow melted to? (North side versus south side slopes.) And how are the mosquitoes? Thanks!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Elizabeth,

Desolation should be open, just to June rather than typical July conditions. I'd expect all trails to be clear by now. I was on Ralston Peak two weekends ago and there were still big snowfields on north-facing slopes, but it's been quite hot since then.

Wildflowers should be great, and that generally means lots of mosquitoes too. Nevertheless I'm headed back up there this weekend.

I'll defer to others on Yosemite.

Cheers,

Rick

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Quite of a bit of flowing water up there now (Desolation Wilderness), and a healthy dose of mosquitoes.

Snow is thick above ~8200 feet on north-facing slopes, but is absent on the south-facing slopes. I'm told the south-facing trail up Pyramid Peak is now clear all the way to the top (9900 feet).

Still wanting to hear about Yosemite high country…

Elizabeth

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools