Topic

Footwear Reco’s for Specific Conditions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Footwear Reco’s for Specific Conditions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Until this year, I have walked in mid-weight, Goretex boots regardless of conditions. After suffering sweaty, blister prone feet in hot conditions I had decided that trail runners that breath are the choice for warm weather.

The question is: If you are hiking in generally warm/hot weather, but may be crossing many wet or muddy areas, is it more advantageous to stick with a waterproof barrier?

My initial feeling is that while my breathable shoes may wet-out, if I have a protective coating on my feet like sportslick, and extra socks, I can dry the shoes out at the end of the day given they are entirely nylon and plastic in composition.

Any thoughts?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Yes…I read this article. My initial impression was they overloaded the test group with a shoe brand I have never seen before. Would have preferred they targeted some of the other more available brands, like Vasque etc.

I am not certain I am concerned too much with weight gain. Dry times are a definite consideration…but the most important aspect to me was the foots response to being wet from outside elements virses being wrapped in Goretex which acts to create more moisture internally in hot conditions.

I suppose it is a draw….as a wet foot is a wet foot. So I will stick with the ventilated trail runners and work around any wet conditions that occur.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools