Topic

Suunto X9i

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suunto X9i

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Anyone out there have any experience with the Suunto X9i? It looks like it would be a cool gadget, but how is it functionally? (Okay… I AM a gadget junkie!)

I read Alan Dixon’s review and it seems the X9i is predominately designed for a single days use. Can anyone say how well it works for a 3-day weekend trip?

I am starting to believe that for any extended trips, using the Suunto Vector and the Garmin Geko 301 I already have will give me everything the X9i can, allow me to navigate for longer periods, AND it will save me $500.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

You can get several weeks of battery life on the trail (or in travel mode) if you don’t use the GPS very much.

It is a spendy gadget. I ordered mine primarily for track skiing (where it works great). The first model I got had a bad battery and customer support at Suunto USA was very confused for a couple of days until everyone figured out that I had a bad battery in my watch and had me send it in for battery replacement.

If you are just using the GPS to satisfy curiosity it is a fine gadget. If you actually want to use a GPS for real navigation a Geko or Etrex is probably a better choice, just on straight-up ease of use.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Thanks for the feedback David, I can see where it would be good for defining tracks. Did you have any issues with the cover overhead affecting your signal strength?

I primarily use my GPS for periodically verifying bearings, transpose those coordinates to my map and continue on from there. I also use it to mark waypoints that I can later upload to my TOPO map, or use the ‘Go To’ feature.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools