Topic

removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

You folks are doing a great job on this site! Keep up the good work!

I would suggest removing p-o-o-p from the profanity filter. Sometimes we need to discuss it, and it's not exactly the most offensive word :-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I would suggest removing p-o-o-p from the profanity filter. Sometimes we need to discuss it, and it's not exactly the most offensive word :-)"

Just capitalize it. The profanity filter, in all its inanity, doesn't recognize capitals! Crazy Poop, eh?

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Wow, you found a loophole, awesome. Pure awesome Crap. I wonder if it works for all words…lol

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

"Just capitalize it. The profanity filter, in all its inanity, doesn't recognize capitals! Crazy Poop, eh?"
    Yeah, but I don't want to look illiterate in order to satisfy a computer.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Yeah, but I don't want to look illiterate in order to satisfy a computer."

and p-o-o-p is………? ;-)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

nice

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

"and p-o-o-p is………? ;-)"

…an example where I was forced to look illiterate in order to satisfy a computer.

No, wait, actually I think it's an example where I was forced to look like a prissy old Victorian lady in order to satisfy a computer.

I recently read a historical account of one of the first ascents of Mt. Shasta, ca. 1850. When they get to the description of glissading, they refer to it as sliding on their "unmentionables."

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

" they refer to it as sliding on their "unmentionables.""

Heck, I was listening to a story on the radio today and some woman referred to her underwear as her unmentionables. As for me, I mention my unmentionables on this forum all the time. I think it kinda creeps some people out……

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I think it kinda creeps some people out……

Not as weird as Smearing Poop across a rock in the desert southwest as the preferred alternative to cat-holes to speed the decomposition process.

That one just takes the Cat's ( self -filtered on second thought )

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Not as weird as Smearing Poop across a rock in the desert southwest as the preferred alternative to cat-holes to speed the decomposition process."

Oh, Doug can get much weirder than that. ;))

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

"Not as weird as Smearing Poop across a rock in the desert southwest as the preferred alternative to cat-holes to speed the decomposition process."
    Knew about this in tundra and glaciers, didn't know it was used in the desert as well.

Of course the optimal technique is to accomplish this without having to use your hands. Have you ever seen a dog with an itchy butt drag its hindquarters across someone's rug? The method for humans is very similar. You can find instructional videos if you search on youtube. Some people find it difficult to master the solo technique, so it can help to have your hiking partners grab your ankles and drag.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

GREAT, edifying thread!!! WIth Doug at the helm, who can go wrong? At least now I've learned that we can all have a Damn Gay old time on our Fannies!

Knew about this in tundra and glaciers, didn't know it was used in the desert as well.

Just glad that the method isn't quite as popular on those knife-edge ridges!

Really, having "Gay" on the profanity filter is surely offensive to some people, no?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Even more than Poop, I'm amused that on this forum, we women are allowed to have one breast but not two of them!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Mary, you got me thinking….. testicle?

Edit: Yup. Us guys are only allowed one testicle.

Nutsack. gotta capitalize it.

So here's a question: were these banned words handpicked by BPL staff, or is it simply part of a more generic filter that is used?

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Imagine that,
    A Poop thread and Doug is all over it!! ;)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Michael, we ought to be careful. Things get ugly when Doug is encouraged too much!

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Miguel,

Doug IS the lite in backpackinglight

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I didn't even know there was a filter!
    I'm so tempted to try a few Scots expletives, to see if they are recognised! :)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Shite.
    Scots version of Shit. :)

Shite was ok, but S.hI.t wasn't. :)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

How childish! I've never heard of a profanity filter before. Is the written word so scary?

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

In German?

Scheiße

In French?

Hash

In Greek?

σκατά

In Latin?

Merda

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Doug IS the lite in backpackinglight

Michael,

I know! You have come across his private. alone-in-his-chair anecdotes, haven't you? I'd hate to be the one to let him loose here! He does like his dogs!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>I know! You have come across his private.

Miguel, that's an unfortunate spot for a period in that sentence!!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

LOL! Got me there! Luckily the profanity filter only does plurals!

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

"I know! You have come across his private. alone-in-his-chair anecdotes, haven't you? I'd hate to be the one to let him loose here!"

Miguel,
    As a mental Health professional, I agree it may be too much for many to deal with without having nightmares ;)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools