Topic

3-4 openings for Rae Lakes loop 8/12-8/15

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 3-4 openings for Rae Lakes loop 8/12-8/15

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Dylan, I have the Tom Harrison Kearsarge Pass–Rae Lakes Loop Map. If you plan to be in the area again, buy it.

If you just want to borrow my copy, I'll send it to you.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Tom Harrison has fantastic maps. I have a SEKI one that will have the whole hike on it. I think we might try to get to Woods Crk Crossing on the first day if possible. That way we can cross country in 60 Lakes Basin next to Arrowhead Lake on the next day. From there we could camp in the basin, or make our way into Ray Lakes afterwards. As for age, I am 46 and I think Jack is around our age also. Kat is much younger and more fun to hike with than us! Most of the mileage will be in the 10-12 mile range each day. If we do Woods Crk Crossing in the first day, it will be 13ish with around 3000 feet elevation gain.

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

Jennifer and Ken, thanks for the info. I'm ordering a map from Tom Harrison right now.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

REI Dylan….faster and cheaper!

Dylan I pm'd you my cell #. Dunno what your hiking set up is, or if you need something. Let me know. If you have any questions regarding the trip ask away

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

also my buddy cannot attend so his spot is open too Jack

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I think we might try to get to Woods Crk Crossing on the first day if possible."

Last August, two of us left Roads End at 7:45 a.m. (which is tough on a lot of people, depending on where you slept) and arrived at Woods Crossing at 5:00 p.m., totally dead. One problem is that after you leave Paradise Valley, you will be hiking away from the stream, so drinking water will become precious. You could always leave the trail to pick up more water and then return to the trail, but that takes time. By late afternoon, you just want to get to camp and get off your feet.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks Bob, it has been 10 years since I last did this loop, and I forgot that once you do leave Woods Crk. that water does become scarce until Dollar Lake. Then again I was carrying 70 lbs…..yes really. One thing that can affect the trip too is the heat and flys once you start hiking. 5000 feet is still a pretty low elevation starting point. If we are pooped at Upper Paradise, then so be it. I have always wanted to go into 60 Lakes Basin, but that MIGHT be a tad ambitious. Bummer because Woods Crk. Crossing has some mighty fine campsites!!!!! Regardless, it is better than being at work anyday!

Bob, since you have done this loop and my memory is ahhh faded, at Dollar Lake, it the Baxter Pass trail easy to find. Just curious?????

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you try to push up to Woods Crossing on the first day, then that dry patch of trail is in the 2-3 miles before you reach Woods Crossing, which is when you would be the tiredest and most in need of water. When I arrived at Woods Crossing last August, I had about 2 oz of water left.

From there up to Dollar Lake, I don't recall it being completely dry. I remember one black bear in a wet stream next to the trail along there.

The Baxter Pass trail is supposed to be at a junction just north of Dollar Lake. However, with all of the snow this year, it would be hard to say what is easy and what is not.

Last August, I had about 20 pounds of pack, plus 10 pounds of camera gear. My friend had about 30 pounds of pack (newbie).

–B.G.–

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Ken, yes, it was clearly marked, here's a shot I found
    Baxter Pass Junction

Also, last September the bugs were horrible until at least Mist Falls. There were day hikers in tears trying to get back to their cars. Many of them looked at our headnets, then looked at their companions and said, "That's what we need!"

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Alright kids I'll be 50 in Oct. of this year, does that make me the Grandpa. And Bob's right the stretch between Upper Paridise to Woods Crossing is dusty, I thought it was the worst part of the whole hike, if there is a worst part to this hike. I couldn't wait to get to camp, eat, shower and go to bed. I think it's not only the dusty part that gets you but also the continuios up and down in elevation, what a bummer. Make it past this in a day and every thing else seems like a piece of cake, at least in my memory, of course like Ken I was packing way to much and to heavy. That was 4 years ago I had 48lbs and thought I was going lighter, This year my goal is 25lbs and under, really I am shooting for 20-22lbs but will be ok with 25lbs, if it wasn't for the stupid bath tub that they make you carry to keep your food in I could loose 1.5 lbs right there, 1.5 lbs that's almost my whole sleep system

kevin smith

@divr6347

sounds like a great trip guys wish i could go
    tarp is still avalible if anyone wants to take it just let me or jack know and ill send it with him i have all guy lines you just need stakes and trekking poles and your all set

have fun guys that includes you jack lol

kevin

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jennifer thanks for the photo. I want to hike that trail from the east side entry….I am a sadisst! It just looks cool to do. Same goes for Taboose, Sawmill, and Shepards….

Bob, Jack, I know the stretch you are talking about now. It is the stretch along where Castle Dome is and the meadow and creek down below the trail. I nearly died in that section. Dusty, hot and not fun. I really hit my wall there the time I made it through there. This year will be different!

Jennifer, the stretch between the trailhead to Mist Falls has some of the worst bugs I have ever encountered. I swallowed many little flies or nats and got sick from it. I have my headnet this time! And I am prepared…bring it on bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Oh Ken, you are so kind.I am actually right in your age range, 42. But thanks anyway, maybe it's the small size and the braids. :)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Kat, just speaking the truth! Kevin, bummer that you guys cannot go. This loop is awesome!! Many more trips in the future for all to do!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I don't care what any body says Kat is super human I've seen it first hand, its mind boggling, just my perspective.
    She could probably do Mt.Everest in a week.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Getting closer. I got some new gear today for this trip can't wait to try it out.

1. Brunton Flex stove
    2. Titanium Goat trekking poles
    3. Halulite Minimalist cook set.
    4. Eddie Bauer First Assent down sweater

I'm still waiting for my new tarp it should be here tis week. I checked the forcast at Rae Lakes today for 7 day forcast just for fun here's what it said.
    Looks like highs during the day in the low 70's and overnight lows in the low to mid 40's with thunder clouds every day or at least a 20% chance.

Bring it on I am so ready!!!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

We only have 2 spots left for any one that's thinking about going. Tony?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Jack. Thanks for the invite. I am hoping to get to the Trinitys the week before. Unlikely that the big boss will let me go two weekends in a row. Still working on the unending honeydo list…

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Jesse Helmic you out there? Wana go?

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

The trip sounds killer, I want in! Before I commit, I must check the work schedule. All of my trips have been with the conventional types, so I'm excited to hike with BPLers. Thanks for the opportunity, put me on the maybe list for now. I hope to have a firm answer by the end of the week. Very Exciting!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Sounds good Adan, if we don't get any definite takers your in, if you can't make it repost at the end of the week to let us know. Jack

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks Jack….
    I can't take Wed off, and I work unil 2:30 so I can head out after that.
    Can't wait

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Kat, we are not leaving the Santa Cruz area until around 5pm….so you have plenty of time

Also, for those going, I have reserved a campground at Hume Lake for Wed. night

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Sounds good Ken, to bad we wont get there in time to have some icecream at that little shack by the market.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jack, Casey Bowden might be joining us! He is supposed to let you know today hopefully

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools