Topic

disposable lighters with visible butane level?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique disposable lighters with visible butane level?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

I was snow-camping last week on Mt. Shasta, and I got a chance to test three different fire-starters side by side at dawn at 10,000 ft. I had an expensive, heavy metal lighter that was advertised as being especially good at high altitude (Colibri Summit), a cheap plastic Bic lighter, and some strike-anywhere matches. All three failed initially. After I warmed both lighters for a few minutes inside the waistband of my underwear, the Bic lit and the Colibri didn't. So at this point I'm sold on cheap plastic lighters. The only thing is, they aren't refillable, and on the ones I've seen, you can't see the level of remaining butane. The only way I've found to judge the amount of fuel left is the height of the flame, which tapers off gradually as the butane runs out. (I tried doing it by weight, but there is apparently less than a gram of butane in one of these.) Has anyone ever seen a disposable lighter made of clear plastic that let you see how much fuel was left?

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I always just shine my headlamp directly behind it to see fuel level.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

"I always just shine my headlamp directly behind it to see fuel level."
    Ah, great trick, Walter — never would have occurred to me! It seems to work on my Bic, but not on my smaller Scriptos, which seem to have more opaque plastic.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yes, some models of lighters are made of completely transparent plastic, while others are opaque. Brands? I have no idea, but wander down to the supermarket or newsagent and look.

So the Bics are not refillable – so what? I have been using the same one for over 6 years of walking now, and it still isn't empty.

Colibri – $90 for what is simply a Bic lighter tarted up for the effluent wanna-bes and their fashion market. You have been had. (Sorry, but …)

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Has anyone ever seen a disposable lighter made of clear plastic that let you see how much fuel was left?"

Yes, I have one. Unfortunately, the seal has gone bad, so it is not usable.

This came as a major component of a hand-size butane torch with piezo trigger. With the exception of the fueling port on the bottom, it looks just like a normal yellow transparent lighter. The label says Master RC-30 Butane Fuel Cell. Refill Butane Here –>

–B.G.–

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

"Colibri – $90 for what is simply a Bic lighter tarted up for the effluent wanna-bes and their fashion market. You have been had. (Sorry, but …)"
    Yeah, I know, I know.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Bic and back light trick I think is the way to go. (it works for me..)
    I do have a couple of the clear types, in the kitchen, one branded Rhino, the other has no brand at all)
    A refillable and clear type ( good if you need to melt s
    Iroda mini torchomething ) is this one:

http://bourneelectronics.com/IRODA-Gas-Mini-keyring-Gas-Blow-Torch-P762442.aspx
    (no I don't have one)
    Franco

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Has anyone ever seen a disposable lighter made of clear plastic that let you see how much fuel was left?"

Google is your friend. Just type in "clear plastic lighter".

Prolly find these in 99-cent type stores??

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Roger wrote:
    "…the effluent wanna-bes"

That's a pretty harsh thing to call Benjamin.

Maybe affluent, but never effluent.

–B.G.–

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Roger wrote:
    "…the effluent wanna-bes"

BG wrote: "That's a pretty harsh thing to call Benjamin.

Maybe affluent, but never effluent."

No, I don't even rise to the level of effluent. I'm an "effluent wanna-be." Someday I hope to pass out through the cosmic cloaca of the universe and actually make it to effluent status.

-Ben

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Effluent… maybe Roger was still thinking about that long-winded TP v. no TP thread — and got the Ben's mixed up! Heh heh…

But at least Ben Crowell now knows that "semi transparent" lighters do exist.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Someday I hope to pass out through the cosmic cloaca of the universe and actually make it to effluent status."

Now that is as elegant a way to describe a black hole as I've ever run across. ;}

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I bought an 8 pack of clear plastic lighters at Wal Mart. The governor can be removed simply creating a flame at least five inches in length. Just remove the cap and pull the metal band. Started this…..

Morning tea and a nice fire

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Was it a typo, or was it light-hearted tongue in cheek? Who Knows? At least it got a laugh from several people.

But $90 instead of 99c …

Cheers

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

"But $90 instead of 99c …"
    OK, rub it in some more. I can take it! (sob)

I actually got it for $50, and am now in the process of reselling it on ebay. Chalk one up to experience.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Here's my 2c

I spent 20 years as a smoker. 1 large Bic would last me 6-7 months after lighting 20-30 cigarettes a day. I have had one Bic fail on me, ever, and it had been run over by a car. Mind you it still worked for about a week, then the striker failed.

I have gone swimming for hours with a Bic in my pocket, blew it out and it worked fine.

If you get a white or light colored one you can hold it up to a bright light to see the butane level. However, you will be very hard pressed to run a mini Bic out on a 1 week outting, that is, if all you are doind it lighting fires.

Stay clear from the, um, clear cheepo lighters. I have experienced a very high fail rate with them. The striker mechanism fails easily. Also, on multiple cheap clear lighters the flint has flung out along with the spring upon striking. Don't waste you time with them.

Also stay away from the pizeo style strikers. These are the disposables like the Cricket brand with the push button ignition. They fail easily when wet, dirty, or sandy.

Refillable lighters are expensive and, in my experience, don't provide as many "lights" as a good'ol Bic.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

That's weird, my mini bic froze up and was dead after it got wet. Went with non-piezo Cricket lighters since.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

John:

I did an experiment with my BIC disposable a few months ago:

1. Dropped one into a full glass of water — waited about 10 seconds — fished it out, dried it — and it worked just fine.

2. Did the same again but left the lighter in the water for about 10 minutes — dried it — but the lighter failed. However, after about 30 minutes or so, the BIC came back to life again — worked just as normal — presumably because the insides have dried sufficiently as well.

Half an hour delay is probably not a big deal for summer outdoors, but may become a life/death issue in cold / wet climes — so still a good idea to protect the BIC from water and bring along a spare.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

If I am going out in cold and wet weather, I carry at least one butane lighter inside an aluminum capsule. That is the cylinder that unscrews in the middle. That way, the lighter is kept dry. Inside the capsule, there is at least one Esbit tab and some foil. In a pinch, I could boil water in one half of the capsule, but it is pretty small. I'd like to find a larger one with a capacity of about 6 fluid ounces. Some are too short for the lighter, and some have a small diameter.

–B.G.–

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Hi Ben. In my situation, I never knew it was damp, so it stayed that way and rusted the inner metal portions. It might could have been prevented had I tried to get it dried out.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Yes if you keep your cheep lighter wet for a long time it will rust. Also the little flint in a Bic will not strike wheh it is soaking wet.

I can usually blow the water out of it. When that does not work you can strike a match and hold the gas button down and light the lighter. Keep it lit for about 20 seconds and it will work as good a new again.

I always carry 2 sources of fire. 2 Bics or a Bic and a book of matches.

Also you may have trouble lighting any "wheel striker" type lighter with a wet hand.

joseph peterson

@sparky

Expensive lighters are a waste of money, Nothing lasts or is as reliable as a bic.

I have gotten bics wet many times, and they have always worked after.

You can simply shake the lighter and hear the fuel inside. When it no longer makes noise, they are empty.

They last years! They will last many months even if you use them as a quick source of light also

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

+1 on bic lighters, especially the mini-bics. I've tried the clear plastic ones and they do tend to have more quality problems than bics. Also, the no-name lighters frequently have a gas lever that sticks up higher and farther than bics so they can sometimes lose all their butane if packed poorly.

Ben Froburg

@bfroburg

Locale: New England

Mini Bics are all I ever use, year round (with a back-up). I always remove the stupid american guard (over the wheel) prior to using. If you drop it in the snow right as you go to prime your stove, pick it up and blow it out and try it. It probably won't work. So hold the lighter upside down and run the wheel over your hand like its a measuring wheel. Do this until you see sparks. It should now light. They have never failed me, except when out of fuel.

Beau Beveridge

@roadtorque

My primary fire/stove starting method has always been bic lighters. I always have 3 ways to start a fire.
    1. (primary) is a bic
    2. is a magnesium striker
    3. bic wrapped in duct tape

To explain the last method. Everyone knows the two most vulnerable points with a bic lighter are
    1. getting it wet
    2. having the button depressed whiled stored and all your butane has leaked out.

To solve both problems I wrap the head end of the lighter with duct tape. The duct tape creates a water proof seal and prevents the button from being depressed. If you need the lighter then unwrap the tape and it works perfect.

I have tested this method by submerging my lighter for 10 minuets in water. After removing the tape it lit on the first flick. Also, duct tape burns in a similar manner as cotton balls and vaseline (even if the duct tape is wet) and can help you get a fire going. I also tested this method and lit a small piece of duct tape that was submerged under water for 10 minutes. It easily lit and burned like a candle for a few minutes.

I hope this info can help someone.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools