Topic

PCT problem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Just read this at Yahoo News.
    http://www.wenatcheeworld.com

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

MAZAMA, Wash. (AP) – The U.S. Border Patrol is warning hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail they could face arrest, jail and a $5,000 fine if they cross the U.S.-Canadian border improperly.

The Wenatchee World reports that the agency sent a letter last month urging the Pacific Crest Trail Association to warn hikers to only enter the U.S. at designated border crossings.

The 2,650-mile trail stretches north from Mexico, crosses the U.S. border in the Pasayten Wilderness and continues for about nine miles to Manning Provincial Park in British Columbia.

The nearest port of entry is 50 miles to the west, at Sumas, in Whatcom County, or more than 50 miles to the east, at Nighthawk or Oroville, Okanogan County.

Beth Boyst is a U.S. Forest Service manager who oversees Pacific Crest Trail issues. She says she'll be meeting with the Border Patrol in the next few weeks to determine the best ways to comply with security needs while accommodating hikers.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wondered about this. We came back from Vancouver, B.C. via the Sumas crossing a few weeks ago and I was looking into the mountains (longingly).

The US-Canada border is nothing more than a broad shallow ditch in many places, let alone the wilderness. In areas like the San Juan Islands, boaters need to report to the local Customs Office when crossing. It's all like trying to sew up Swiss cheese.

Interesting that the meeting will be "in the next few weeks." That should have been ironed out in February, not mid-July!

They should issue permits to hikers with pre-checked ID and itinerary. The Border Patrol will have whole litters of kittens over this one, I'm sure.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It is rather late! I suspect most of the very few sobos have already crossed the border!

It seems stupid that those going north into Canada can apply for a permit from the Canadian government before their hike starts and be perfectly legal, while the US government absolutely refuses to consider such a thing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools