Topic

Grand Tetons July Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Grand Tetons July Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Locale: All Over California

Hello, Hikers.

I respectfully submit my gear list for derision, er, critique. This is for a 2-3 night trip in Grand Teton NP beginning 20 July. At the moment I am planning the trip solo, though I just heard that someone may be joining me, which would decrease my total weight for shelter and/or bear canister.

I am between tents so I have a rainbow in as a place holder, for a lot of reasosns, including availability (I know I can get it in time). Also, I do not currently own a down jacket, but I am considering the one listed. Currently I am using a 24oz fleece, which I would clearly like to reduce.

I have some pretty heavy rain-gear on there, but I have been told to expect heavy rain and I love the jacket. The pants are of the cheap, unbreathable type, and double well as an insulating layer.

Thanks!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiEMTy8PkrOHdDdQbVZmUDF6Szk0WDM2OEMzRkprTmc&hl=en&authkey=CNKkkNkK#gid=2

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Shameless bump. Any thoughts, guys?

I know it's not uuultralite, but I'm a little outside my comfort zone with the weather that's there.

TIA

Mark Lucht

@lucky489

Locale: Southwest

Well for starters I can't access the spreadsheet. Says I don't have authorization. Not that I would have been able to add anything.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

this site allows you to upload a pdf file, might be more folks that can actually see the list that way

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Sorry about that, guys. Gdocs has been messing with me a lot lately.

I'm trying to upload the PDF, but the site won't let me. I will mess with it some more and if not try and load it as a .gif.

If you know what I'm doing wrong… let me know.

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

I can't seem to upload the PDF. Here are new links I tested on a different computer, and I will update the OP. Text version below as a further CYA.

Thanks!

Spreadsheet:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiEMTy8PkrOHdDdQbVZmUDF6Szk0WDM2OEMzRkprTmc&hl=en&authkey=CNKkkNkK#gid=2

Pack Weight: 15.25 Worn Weight:4.2

Category Item Pack Wgt Worn Wgt
    Bear Bear Spray 15
    Bear BearVault 450 33
    Clothes Arcteryx Shell 13
    Clothes EMS Liner Gloves 2
    Clothes Montbell Thermawrap Vest 5.4
    Clothes Warm Hat- Generic 2.25
    Clothes Rain Pants 13.38
    Hygiene Blistex 0.2
    Hygiene Campsuds 1
    Hygiene Toothbrush 1
    Hygiene Toothpaste 2
    Hygiene TP 0.05
    Incidental Picaridin 0.63
    Incidental Camera 6.6
    Incidental First Aid Kit 3
    Incidental Notebook and pen 1.88
    Mess Beercan stove/stand/shield 1.5
    Mess Fuel 4
    Mess Mini Bic 0.5
    Mess Open Country 1 qt pot 5.13
    Mess Spork 0.5
    mess 8 oz cup 0.63
    Pack Go Lite Jam 2 26
    Pack Trash bag 1.7
    Pack Mesh Stuff Sack 0.63
    Shelter TT Rainbow 34
    Shelter Footprint 5
    Shelter Stakes 0
    Sleeping BA Iron Mountain 17.75
    Sleeping REI Halo +25 32.38
    Tools Sashline 1.75
    Tools Compass/Tick/Whistle Kit 1.38
    Tools Headlamp 3.1
    Tools Spyderco Knife 1.63
    Water 1L water bottles (2) 2.8
    Water Katadyn CL02 Tabs 0.31
    Worn Clothes Bandannas 0.9
    Worn Clothes Ex Officio Boxer Briefs 2.7
    Worn Clothes Merrills 39.5
    Worn Clothes REI Lightweight Baselayer 3
    Worn Clothes REI Sahara Convertible Pants 12.8
    Worn Clothes Smartwool crew socks 3.1 3.1
    Worn Clothes Head net 1
    Worn Clothes Sun Hat 4

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

not too bad a list for someone just starting into lightweight backpacking! :)

a few comments- you list bear spray as pack weight- insure it's handy (not in your pack), doesn't do much good if you can't get to it quickly

yes- your pad is pretty heavy, if you like comfy a neoair can shave ~ 8-10 oz off that weight, a closed cell pad even more

is a vest going to be a warm enough insulating layer for the GT's? I hike in MT & WY and a vest would be pushing things a bit up high even in July and August

are you going solo? if so maybe a smaller pot (in the 600-ish range) could save you a little weight

your rain gear is a little on the heavy side- lots of folks have jacket AND pants for the weight of one your garments

good guess on the mini bic, it weighs 0.4 oz :)

I was going to say you could probably save a little weight in your first aid kit, but if it includes emergency bits as well, it's fine

toothpaste you can save some weight- get some tooth powder and put it in one of the tiny bottles they sell here and elsewhere- for four days mine weighs 0.2 oz, if camp suds is anything like Dr B's you can cut that amount down as well (smaller bottle), 0.2 lasts me 4-5 days- the stuff goes a loooooong way

you could save a fair amount of weight w/ your sleeping bag, but it's $- it's probably the single most expensive item of gear we purchase (the good thing is a quality down bag lasts for decades!)

if solo you could probably go w/ a lighter shelter

not sure what bottles you have, but platypus 1 liter bottles are 0.9 each

might want to weigh that TP again :) 0.05 isn't much, probably more like 0.5

a few items you may be missing- map(s), sunscreen, bug dope?

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

>you list bear spray as pack weight-

That should be carried weight, you are correct. I sewed a little slot into the cargo pocket for it.

>yes- your pad is pretty heavy

I think I can lose the stuff sack and shave 2 oz. I'm trying not to outlay any more cash right now. What closed-cell pieces would you recommend?

>is a vest going to be a warm enough insulating layer for the GT's?

I don't know!! I was thinking maybe a light fleece vest on top of the down vest, of course that's more weight. I'm also looking at the nanopuff, which seems like a good deal for the weight. What do you use?

>are you going solo? if so maybe a smaller pot

Yeah, I was just cheaping out. Actually I have an old sierra cup that would do the job for a bit less weight. At the moment I am going solo, though that might change (I find it's always safest to plan that way)

>your rain gear is a little on the heavy side- lots of folks have jacket AND pants for the weight of one your garments

I know, I just have a love affair with that jacket. The pants are good insulators, but you're definitely right.

>toothpaste you can save some weight-

I'm sure that was a guess. I will weigh out what I really need

>you could save a fair amount of weight w/ your sleeping bag, but it's $- it's probably the single most expensive item of gear we purchase (the good thing is a quality down bag lasts for decades!)

I have a lighter 35 degree bag (17oz) but I'm afraid of it for this trip. Thoughts?

>if solo you could probably go w/ a lighter shelter

Again, TBD. I've heard some horror stories about the rain out there.

>not sure what bottles you have, but platypus 1 liter bottles are 0.9 each

I go to the supermarket and buy two of the lightest-looking 1L bottles of water I find. I've probably bought enough of them now that the platys would have paid for themselves…

>might want to weigh that TP again :) 0.05 isn't much, probably more like 0.5

Forgive the expression, but the TP is a CYA :-) I usually use leaves, and it lives in the first aid kit, so no baggie.

>a few items you may be missing- map(s), sunscreen, bug dope?

Map, duh, I will weigh and get it on there. I don't do sunscreen hardly ever (I stay pretty covered up) and I rarely do bug dope, but I might tack on .5 oz of picaridin, since I'm told I will be in bug country.

Thanks for the comments. I will weigh out the guess weights tonight and fix it up!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

you can get some really reasonable (and very light!) foam pads at gossamer gear

you choose the thickness and length to suit your needs (and tolerance! :))

light fleece and a down vest is a good combo, but like you said additional weight

personally I wouldn't do the GT's w/ a vest alone

you'll find most folks (including me) use a light down jacket- very versatile piece of gear- the nanopuff would be a good choice too

if you have a 35 degree bag- you can extend the range of that bag w/ a good insulating top (one of the reasons so many use a light down jacket), if your not a terribly cold sleeper- I think the 35 degree bag (w/ a decent pad) an the addition of a good insulating top (and possibly hat, your spare socks, etc) should be sufficient

if your going solo consider just a medium-ish mug/pot- you really don't need to pack a pot and a mug

got you on the TP :)

you'll want at least a little sunscreen- the sun at those elevations is extremely potent

I'd also look at alternative shelters seeing you haven't purchased already- if you want something that will cover two folks- then your fine w/ the rainbow, if your going solo you can still get good rain protection for about 1/2 that weight

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

> if your not a terribly cold sleeper- I think the 35 degree bag (w/ a decent pad) an the addition of a good insulating top (and possibly hat, your spare socks, etc) should be sufficient

Hmmmmm. I feel some experimentation in my future. I'll be at elevation for a week before the walk. Not sure how my squeeze will react to all the windows open and me on the floor in a sleeping bag, however…

>if your going solo consider just a medium-ish mug/pot- you really don't need to pack a pot and a mug

Yes, that's what I meant.

>you'll want at least a little sunscreen- the sun at those elevations is extremely potent

I believe you and I'll bring it.

> if you want something that will cover two folks- then your fine w/ the rainbow, if your going solo you can still get good rain protection for about 1/2 that weight

I'm torn about this. I want to get something versatile so I can take it out whether I'm solo or with my partner. The rainbow offers that flexibility.

I've done some really spartan shelter in the past, but I'm afraid to do that in this kind of weather. Hmmm.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

I agree with the others, if this is your first real attempt at lightening up, you are doing great. I spent 3 weeks last year (late Aug & early Sept) just east of the GT in the Teton Wilderness and SE in the Wind River Range. I would never do that without a long sleeve insultaing garment. I happen to use a down jacket with a hood. It gets cold up there and after a long day on the trail, my body temperature can drop. So go ahead and try just a vest if you'd like, but when I was up there I was glad I had my down jacket with hood. Fleece is just fine to save some money. Let us know how it all works out. Good luck and have fun!

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Rodney,

What do you use? I am looking at old and new nanopuffs and the Montbell Thermawrap. Thoughts?

Edit: I added a fleece vest. A lot of weight, but I'd rather have it…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

there are lots of good insulating tops to choose from- the nano puff is syn so it has some advantages in wet weather over down- they have a new hooded version that just hit the stores

down will offer a little more warmth/weight- montbell has several good ones to look at- hooded and unhooded- their ul liner is very popular here (for good reason)

with a good, light insulating top you can forego any other insulating pieces, like I said earlier it would make your lighter bag a very viable option as well :)

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

After doing a LOT of reading, I think I'm going to go synthetic. If I have to buy brand-new, I will go with the nanopuff, but the Montbells look nice, too.

Scouring the sale racks I go…

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Here's the link again:

Major updates in GREEN

I picked up a HighLite at the gear swap (woo hoo!) chopping almost a pound off the top there.

I snagged one of the Eddie Bauer down vests on closeout+coupon, and I dug up a really nice heavyweight baselayer I already had. Those plus another fleece vest together weigh less than the heavier fleece I had planned on. I feel confident about this setup. Anybody think this won't be warm enough? (nighttime lows in the 20s)

I shaved another 5.5 oz off when I found a good deal on a TAR pro lite, over the BA Iron Mountain (which I wasn't crazy about anyhow).

The big opportunities I have left all involve spending more, which just isn't going to happen.

The pot is a bit heavy. but the only thing I think worth replacing it with is a Ti mug, and I'm not spending on that just now.

The rain gear is heavy. It's on my list to pick up a windshirt and a lighter set of pants.

And I'm going to go with rainbow as shelter; not the lightest option, but the lightest thing I can cram me AND the squeeze into (and better than the 5 lb Clip someone lent me).

All that puts me under 14 lbs INCLUDING the bear canister. Any other thoughts?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

you saved some decent weight w/ the new pad :)

you now have TWO vests, not sure how good that's going to work- I'd consider replace one of the vests (the fleece one) w/ some kind of light jacket/pullover- sounds like a down jacket is out, but you should be able to find a light fleece jacket/pullover for not much more weight (and less dough) than the vest- maybe something along the lines of a expedition weight capilene or r-1

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Mike,

The marmot top is an expedition weight baselayer. I'm not sure of the material, but it is warm as all get-out, next to the skin or over another shirt. Is that the kind of thing you were thinking? Maybe with that the fleece vest is overkill?

Also, I have a heavyweight techwick pullover, not a huge weigh savings over the vest, but maybe more versatile.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Joe, a few thoughts on warmth (clothing and sleeping):

I think you'll be ok with the expd weight baselayer and down vest. With that combo I'd also be fine with the 35 degree bag, if in your experience the bag's rating is accurate. It can get chilly in the mountains, but July days are long, and you're likely to be in bed for most of the dark hours, thus less insulation for lurking around camp than you'd want in other seasons.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools