Topic

Freeze dried vs dehydrated calories

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Freeze dried vs dehydrated calories

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Cronshaw

@beemancron

Locale: Southwest US

With food weight being an issue with UL backpackers, I am wondering what the data says about the calorie content of a food item that has been freeze dried compared with the same food item that has been dehydrated.

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

I would assume that the caloric content is the same, seeing as in both cases, only water is removed. Freeze dried is lighter because more water is taken out.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And while both are the same (lets say you were comparing to identical meals), you have to realize that both need fat added to them-a good shot of olive oil never hurts!
    To keep from going rancid, both FD and dehydrated foods are usually near fat free. They are also usally on the lower side of calories, so added fat helps.
    As for weight, well, FD can help in weight-but you can lose some taste (if you use commercial prepared meals). I love using FD vegetables, fruit and meats to save weight-as they taste great.

A combo of FD/dried works well when making up meals.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools