Topic

dehydrating honey / maple syrup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition dehydrating honey / maple syrup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dont Wantto

@longhiker

Is it possible to dehydrate honey or maple syrup or something like that in my Nesco dehydrator?

I'm asking so I can have a convenient sweetener (besides sugar) for various shakes I see at trailcooking.com.. some recommend taking a packet of honey along but this isn't convenient on a long hike where I want lots of the stuff.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Is there a particular reason you don't want/can't have sugar? If it's because you totally dig the taste of honey or maple syrup, then right on man. But there are sugar alternatives you can take!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I won't say that it can't be done, but I sure don't know how to dehydrate that stuff. I tried honey and molasses and got nothing working. There are molasses powders and all that if it is just flavor that you want.

I gave up and got a box full of Turbinado sugar in packets. That isn't too much different from light brown sugar.

–B.G.–

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

sugar is just fine with me but it feels like the taste of maple syrup on the trail would be heaven..

i do maple syrup powder from frontier but it comes in 1 lb bags..

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Yeah, like Bob, I simply don't know if you could do it.

Just to throw this out there, organic whole cane sugar, unrefined and unbleached, has a much earthier and molasses-like flavor. We have the brand Rapunzel. Something to consider. Good luck with your quest.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

PSSSTTTTT! You can buy both of them in dehydrated form! There is maple sugar that can be turned back into maple syrup, granulated honey, granulated molasses…..

Go check out packitgourmet.com for them. Though the honey you can find it in Asian grocery stores (yet it is US made!) and maple in many natural food stores.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ok. Sarah wins.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Sarah, I think the question was how to do it with a home food dehydrator.

Personally, I find it way too much trouble to mail order what is, in essence, a small bag of flavored sugar.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If I remember right they freeze dry the powders – something we cannot do at home (or at least most of us!)

I love internet shopping I will admit – though I rarely just buy one thing. When I order from PIG I get around $100 or so a time and stock up quarterly. :-)

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

Honey is pretty concentrated already, how much more water weight can be removed by dehydrating?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Tohru, this is Backpacking Light!

Grams exist to be removed.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The dry isn't messy to say the least ;-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The only real problem I have with carrying honey or molasses is that it always spills or leaks or gets all over my fingers and clothes.

If I really need to carry molasses or honey for some recipe, I load it into plastic soda straws with the ends taped.

–B.G.–

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Isn't maple sugar essentially dehydrated or freeze-dried maple syrup? You can buy that at specialty cooking stores. Most of it is imported from Canada…

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I haven't tried this, but could you dilute honey/syrup etc in water, and then create crystals along a wick like rock candy ?

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

"Grams exist to be removed."

Duh, forgot where I was. I'm partial to taking demerara or turbinado sugar, it adds richness to tea…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

> Grams exist to be removed

Unless they are in camera equipment.

Sorry Bob, I couldn't resist :)

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

yes it is BPL but I was asking because it is a mess to pack honey / maple syrup in liquid form, esp. for 35 days.

maple sugar sounds interesting.. will look into it.

i did see maple syrup powder online but it was expensive and in a rather large portion and that's what prompted me to ask this question..

anyway, brown sugar and maple sugar both sound good to me..

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

http://www.amazon.com/Stakich-HONEY-POWDER-5-LB/dp/B001LR2CP2

They have smaller bags also. this is soooooo good

Anonymous
    Inactive

"anyway, brown sugar and maple sugar both sound good to me.."

They both occupy the same dietary niche, but maple sugar tastes sooooo much better. You really should try and pick some up to test. Be careful, though; it's addictive. There should be some good sources in Michigan, where I grew up and also Vermont, to name a couple of major producers of syrus/sugar. Also Canada.

Oops, I just googled it and it's really pricey, like ~$17/pound. :(

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you're going to end up buying a sweetener, really reconsider Sarah's suggestion of going to your Asian market. The powdered honey is very convenient. You can also buy reasonable quantities at reasonable prices. I use it in tea at home. Initially, I was worried about cactus honey but in the end it tastes just fine.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools