Topic

eyeglass repair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique eyeglass repair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

Just got back from a 3-day attempt on Mt. Shasta with my 13-year-old daughter. On the first day, she slipped on snow and broke one of the arms off of her glasses, losing the screw in the snow. I was able to do a makeshift repair by stripping the wire out of a twist-tie, and although it held, it wasn't so great.

Any advice on this? Are the screws in eyeglasses totally standard, so that one can just take one or two spares on a hike? If so, where do you buy them?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Most are fairly standard. There are little kits you can buy at department stores that have screws, small screw driver and other spare parts. Usually cost a couple bucks.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

i always see the repair kits at the checkout line of the grocery store. they're tiny little kits with a few screws and so forth.

on a side note – that's really cool that you and your daughter made that climb. my son is 7, and his goal for the summer is to climb his first mountain (which around these parts means a 5K or 6K peak).

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Kieran wrote: "my son is 7, and his goal for the summer is to climb his first mountain (which around these parts means a 5K or 6K peak)."
    Excellent! Great to have that self-initiated interest on your son's part!

I first took my daughter backpacking when she was exactly that age. It was cute seeing her total lack of understanding of distance scales. We did a trip that I thought would be ridiculously easy. It ended up being about right for her, except that on the third day we did a steep downhill that included steps that were too big for her legs.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

yeah it feels good for sure… cheers to you man

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools