Topic

Pillow woes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pillow woes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Matt Bowler
    BPL Member

@bulldawg_006hotmail-com

Not sure if this one has been mentioned. I got one and love it. Very heavy but worth it. I have tried LOTS of pillows and always woke up with a stiff neck. This is the best of all the ones I have used and I have tried soem that come very highly recommended.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

Thanks to Stephen Bateman! I have the Nemo Fillo and the Montbell UL pillow. The Montbell plus my thermawrap vest plus thermarest pillow case was comfy and light but not as nice as the Fillo. But two flex air pillows half inflated and arranged vertically and side-to-side in the thermarest pillow case (with the thermawrap vest on top of the pillows) is extremely comfortable! It equals the Fillo and only weighs 2oz! I didn't cut mine down, they fit great as they are.

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Irma cushion.

Blue throw pillow inners that are about 14×14. $1.99, and 6 oz.

Filled with normal fiberfill. Not that light, not that compressible, but cheap and they work really well. :)

AND it feels exactly like a normal bed pillow.

Edit: After looking at so many posts recommending 4-5 oz pillows for $30 and above, I stand by the price to weight value on this bad boy. :)

Paul Hood
    BPL Member

@sirisaac

Here is the option that has worked well for me so far.

I wrap my sleeping pad (inflatable) in one of those thermarest loungers (the pad stays in it when packed also and it is the full length.) Like this one:
    http://reviews.rei.com/review/719826/ThermaRest-Trekker-Lounge-Chair-Kit

It happens to have a fleece/flannel panel where your head would rest, I place my kooka bay pillow under that sleeve and inflate just enough to give me the right feel. The pillow doesn't move since it is trapped in the thermarest cover, and feels nice on my face if not in the mummy hood from my bag.

I was already taking a weight penalty with the thermarest lounger (but worth it since I am cooking for me and 4 kids).

I suspect other pillow options would also work under this pad.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I am a side sleeper and have never been able to find a pillow that works for also.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i have settled on the Cocoon UL air pillow in a Thermarest pillow case with my pants stuffed in. the pants bulk up the height and the air pillow allows me to adjust the firmness for side sleeping.

now i just need to sort out my sore hips.

Aaron Lehoux

@aaronjayl

Locale: Southern Maine

It took me a while too to find the right pillow set-up. For me, the best thing I have found and LOVE is the Montbell UL Pillow. I don't bring a special pillow case for it, but instead I stick it in whatever spare merino shirt layer I have with me as I always carry at least a spare tee. The merino is soft and comfy while the dip in the middle of the pillow works well for sleeping on my back or side without my head rolling off or the pillow slipping away. Still after the perfect sleeping pad for me though :(

Nate Lee
    BPL Member

@nathan52

Yo G.

I got the solution to your woes.

Airport U-shaped pillows, the one I have (Cloudz) weighs 175 grams. Sure, that's kinda heavy, but you can use it to snooze all trip long (car ride, plane, hike). It's pretty stuffable because there are soft spots in it and you can fold it in half if you want.

All in all, the measure of it's greatness is the looks of envy when I break it out.

Good luck to you in your pillow hunt – It's a personal adventure!

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools