Topic

How to choose between HyVent 3L and DT 2.5L?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to choose between HyVent 3L and DT 2.5L?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lokto Cheung

@s4t1sfy

I'm looking for a rain shell for biking use. "Breathability" first, durable 2nd and lightness 3rd.

Target jackets are Prophecy (HyVent 2.5L DT) and Titan (3L).

Which is better?

How does it compare to PacLite?

Thanks all!

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I use REI's eVent running jacket as my backpacking shell and it should work even better for biking.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

You seem to be looking at two fairly different jackets since one is a 2.5 layer and the other is a 3 layer. A 3 layer jacket has 3 layers in the shell (nylon, membrane, inner material) where as a 2.5L jacket is made lighter by just using nylon, membrane and then the '0.5 layer' which is usually some sort of a printed pattern. I'm a little fuzzy on the purpose of this 0.5 layer, but I think it has something to do with protecting the membrane and maybe raising it off the skin slightly.

The 2.5L jacket is going to be lighter and in my experience a lot more comfortable in warm, high exertion applications because a 3 layer jacket is typically more insulating. Durable winter shells are normally 3 layer whereas lighter summer jackets are 2.5 layer if you are looking at good ones. Cheaper jackets will be 2 layer but that's not as good as 2.5 layer because a 2 layer jacket is nylon, membrane and then they normally hang a mesh liner in the jacket, so it really is 3 layers but the 3 layer isn't attached to the others. 2 layer jackets are cheaper to make.

First I would decide if you want a 2.5 or 3 layer jacket before you decide on the membrane. A 3 layer jacket is typically going to be a more durable jacket because it's usually designed for more abusive winter conditions so they use a heavier grade of nylon for the shell. There's lots of 2.5 layer jackets that are plenty durable though and I prefer these over a 3 layer since they are normally not as hot to wear (insulating). I find that 3rd layer of material (the name eludes me) adds a fair bit of warmth which isn't what you want in the summer.

Lokto Cheung

@s4t1sfy

Thanks for your advice.

I aim at using the jacket at 20-30degree celcius hot summer. 2.5L seems to be better in this situation, tho the 3L durability is very attractive.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I have a biking jacket from Showers Pass that's made of eVent. It cost around $250….love that jacket. It breaths great. I ride all year in Seattle with it…while not when it's hot out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools