Topic

Shasta Trip Report ( Video Documentary)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Shasta Trip Report ( Video Documentary)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just finished watching this and thought it was great. Thanks for putting it together and sharing it. I was surprised you were glissading in your crampons and not using your ice axe for a rudder. But obviously you got down without any mishaps.
    Joe Simpson said in one of his books something to the effect that climbing rarely makes sense but nearly always feel right. So true.

Ryan Commons

@ryancommons

Locale: Bay Area, California

Hey Kathleen,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Regarding the crampons…noooooo crampons on those boots. I think it looks like it, but I took them off. It is crazy to glissade with crampons on.

Best,

Ryan

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"It is crazy to glissade with crampons on."

Agreed.

I witnessed an injury accident in the same place in Avalanche Gulch when a fool was doing a glissade with crampons on. The fool caught a point, flipped, slid out of control, struck two innocent climbers, and one of them slid about a thousand feet down.

–B.G.–

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Your video really brings back memories of climbing Shasta – great job, Ryan! I'm glad we didn't have the bad weather you did (I think we went in June) but your glissade shots highlight the plus side of going when there is lots of snow. I will never forget the fun of glissading down from Red Banks! (on my second trip I used the ice axe to brake far less, having realized near the end of the first trip's glissade that it was a lot more fun than scary)

Thanks again. :)

Ryan Commons

@ryancommons

Locale: Bay Area, California

Thanks a lot DK, feels great that others enjoy watching the glissading. Always makes me smile.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

You put a big smile on my face this morning. Best cup of coffee I ever had. Off to work. Cheers Mate!

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools